News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sorby spindle gouge troubles..

Started by Trevlett, April 05, 2010, 12:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevlett

Hey guys,
I was trying to setup the gouge jig to put an edge back on a new Sorby 12mm spindle gouge and was struggling..

I dont have the Turning Tool Setter but i assume its possible to do it without (its on my things to buy list!)
I set the jig to number 2 which is what is recommended for spindle gouges in the book but i cannot, no matter where i set the tool rest, to match the angle of the Sorby factory grind. If i set it to match the angle of the center of the tool, as i lay over in the jig it opens up a gap between the edge and the stone. I have measured the factory grind angle using the AngleMaster and it seems to be different from the center to the edge...

Im assuming that im either doing it wrong or the the T-7 wants to do its own grind and can't match whatever the Sorby factory has ground it to..

HELP!! ???

Thanks
Trev

Jeff Farris

The SVD-185 will not match the factory grind, but the SVS-50 will.

If it is the 12mm Continental gouge, I suggest that you use the SVS-50.  If it is the 12mm milled gouge (flute cut into round bar stock), you have your choice of using the SVS-50 to match the factory grind or changing the profile with the SVD-185.
Jeff Farris