News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Carbide scraper blade

Started by Wannabewoodworker, March 26, 2010, 03:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wannabewoodworker

So after reading one of the threads regarding carbide sharpening with my T7 I told the boss I had the machine and i would be happy to sharpen his carbide scraper blade. Well contrary to what has been posted here the Sg-250 stone has little to NO affect on a carbide scraper blade. I was after a very long time able to get some of the blade polished shiny like a mirror but actually sharpening it back to factory new was an abyssmal failure. Who here has been successful sharpening carbide tools with this system??? Is this even possible??? I know Jeff had stated in another thread that it can sharpen carbide but I am here to tell you mine would not sharpen carbide. I even graded the stone time and time again to try and get the stone to cut the blade but to no avail.

Jeff Farris

If I have posted anywhere at any time that the SG-250 would sharpen carbide, I would certainly like to know where, because it needs to be deleted.  I have never to my knowledge written that.

The SB-250 can touch-up but not reshape carbide.  The SG-250 will have no effect on carbide whatsoever.
Jeff Farris

Wannabewoodworker

Jeff,
       My sincere apologies if I miss read your reply's concerning sharpening carbide tools. I know you said the T7 could sharpen them I just did not realize you were referring to a different stone than the one that came with my machine. I will have to look at the SB-250 and see if that will do what I need to do. Thanks for the response as always.