News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Bench Grinder w/Tormek Attachments

Started by lpw, May 04, 2010, 11:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lpw

I just ordered the bench grinder mounting system along with the jigs that are mentioned for a bench grinder. I have a question that may be ridiculous, but I really don't know the answer. The wheel rotation on my bench grinder turns towards me, but from what I can tell on the T-7, the wheel rotates away from you. Does this rotation change the ability to use the Tormek jigs on my bench grinder? I certainly hope to be able to use the attachments because everyone that I know what uses a Tormek just swear that it is the very best sharpening system made. Thanks for any assistance with my question.

Larry

Jeff Farris

High speed grinders should always be used with the wheel turning into the cutting edge. If the wheel is turning away from the edge, the heat build-up at the cutting edge is much hotter, much faster. On the Tormek, you have the option of using it with the wheel turning into the edge or away from the edge, because heat is not an issue. In most circumstances on the Tormek, on most turning tools, the wheel turning away from the edge is the preferred method.

You most certainly will be able to use the jigs. Use a light touch on the high speed wheel and watch the heat build up.
Jeff Farris