News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

What honing compound for HSS turning tools?

Started by Ern, February 03, 2010, 05:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ern

Don't know what the T yellow tube is full of.

Note that in Leonard Lee's book on sharpening he recommends Al. Ox. for HSS  steel.

I'm thinking of getting the profiled leather wheel less for burr removal and more for polishing out the machining marks left in some gouges.

Any comments?
Cheers,  Ern

Jeff Farris

Tormek PA-70 is aluminum oxide abrasive in a paste of mineral oil and other stuff.  ;D

It will do a fine job of removing mill marks in your flutes, which is a very worthwhile goal. 
Jeff Farris

Ern

Ah, thanks Jeff.  Good to know.

Excellent info, as always  :)

PS, does it work efficiently on the Tormek?  Any mileage in fitting the leather wheel to the lathe eg.?
Cheers,  Ern

Jeff Farris

The plastic hub system is designed for low speed operation.  I'm not sure I would spin it up much over 150 RPM.

EDITED TO ADD:

Regarding the speed of the process of removing mill marks from a gouge flute. 

I would not try to polish the entire flute of a gouge at once.  There's no point to it. Just work the section close to the edge each time you sharpen.  Perhaps spend a little bit longer than necessary to remove the burr, and the flute will always be polished where it is important.
Jeff Farris

Ern

Cheers,  Ern

aunsell

HI,
I use the Flexcut Gold Polishing Compound, you just apply it like a crayon and it does a wonderful job and dosn't make as much of a mess when applying than the tormek compound.
I use the tormek compound as well.

Ern

Cheers,  Ern

Ern

Jeff, can I ask what the Tormek compound particle size in microns is?

(Yep, now definitely getting obsessive  ;D )
Cheers,  Ern

Jeff Farris

Ern,

It is a blend of 3 micron, 2 micron and 1 micron.  When the 3 micron particles break down, the 2 micron particles take over, and so on.  That's why PA-70 has the unique property of a fast cut and a fine finish.
Jeff Farris

Ern

Clever!

So a bit of pressure wouldn't go astray to break down the 3 micron particles.
Cheers,  Ern

Jeff Farris

Pressure is good.  ;D

Watch your angle, though. I do lean on the honing wheel, but before you apply pressure, make sure you have the bevel properly aligned.
Jeff Farris