News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Super Grind 2000 won't start on it's own

Started by Gaius, February 01, 2010, 08:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaius

We have a high mileage Super Grind 2000 in our shop which recently developed the following condition: when turned on, the motor hums until the wheel is manually spun, then it works fine.  Do we need brushes?  A capacitor? A T7?

jeffs55

Isnt there a drive belt or some kind of tensioning device that may need tightening?
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Jeff Farris

While I like the idea of using a T-7 to solve the problem  ;D  I think you can get back in business for wee bit less.  First check to see if it is slipping between the drive tire and the motor shaft.  To do that, remove the honing wheel and take a look at the rubber drive tire.  Turn the machine on and hold a piece of 80 grit sand paper against the tire to clean and freshen the surface.  If at that point you can apply considerable pressure to the grindstone without stalling it out, yet it still requires a manual push to get started,  the problem is more than likely the capacitor.  We have them in stock.  Call us at 1-800-872-5489 between 9am and 5pm Central Time.  There are a couple of styles and we need to talk to figure out which one you need.
Jeff Farris

Gaius

Great-thanks Jeff.  I will keep you posted.