News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

t 7 for professional knife sharpening

Started by mikeau, November 28, 2009, 06:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeau

Hi all
Any professional knife sharpeners out there that use the t7 as their main sharpening tool.  I have a manual system but it is slow on knives that need some material removed.  I am a beginner but I can see an opening where I live for a sharpening service.

Thanks
Mike

jeffs55

I am not a pro but that is why I bought mine. It works very well for that purpose.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Herman Trivilino

I've thought of opening a sharpening shop, but until now I didn't think it would be profitable.  There's a local service here, but you have to wait until Tuesdays for it to be picked up from the local hardware store, and then returned the following Tuesday.  I just dropped off a 50-tooth carbide-tipped saw blade to be sharpened, and picked up a price list. 

They're charging a lot more than I'd remembered.  $1 plus $1 per inch for just about every knife that I could sharpen with my Tormek.  Here's one exception that looks like it's got to be a typo: $10 plus $1 per inch for hunting knives!

Between $5 and $9.50 for scissors.

At these prices I just may change my mind.  I know I can beat the Tuesday-to-Tuesday turn-around time.

Origin: Big Bang

thesharpeningguy

Are you still interested in sharpening kitchen knives?

DSS

I have a sharpening service and before the T7 I used a home made wet stone driven by a furnance motor and an alternater belt. It did a pretty good job until I saw what the T7 can do for knives, scissors, and all kinds of shop and home utensils. I would call the edge I get now as a very refined and durable edge. This is probably the best investment I've made for this business as far as doing flat blade utensils.