News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Usage for grinding grit residuum

Started by Jan, April 10, 2018, 11:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

As already discussed here the water trough has to be emptied and cleaned regularly. The residuum cannot be put down to the sink because it would cause plumbing problems.

For this reason I was glad to find a usage for the water with grinding grit.

Sometimes ago I was asked to make a ritual knife with a stone handle. It was necessary to drill a 1/3" hole into the stone handle. I used the wet grinding grit worn from a SG stone as a cutting fluid and it worked fine.

Jan

Ken S

cbwx34

Quote from: Jan on April 10, 2018, 11:50:50 AM
Sometimes ago I was asked to make a ritual knife with a stone handle. It was necessary to drill a 1/3" hole into the stone handle. I used the wet grinding grit worn from a SG stone as a cutting fluid and it worked fine.

Looks cool.  Any pictures of the final work?

Quote from: Jan on April 10, 2018, 11:50:50 AM
For this reason I was glad to find a usage for the water with grinding grit.

Another idea... you can let it dry some, and spread it on a medium (wood, leather, even paper), for a cheap, homemade, "touch-up" strop.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Grizz

brilliant idea Jan ! now I will find an old 1 gallon coffee can and start saving the used grit.

Fernando

Thinking that the sand detached from the stone, breaks with use, would not even be useful to make some kind of honing paste, a little thicker for other uses, like axes or something?

Jan

Thanks for your responses, appreciated.  :)

CBWX, the blade is not finished yet.

Fernando, I have used grinding grit collected during truing and subsequent sharpening session. In my thinking during truing they are many completely unbroken grains detached from the stone.

During drilling the alumina grains break probably quite quickly and it is necessary add fresh grinding grit mud. The mud guarantees drill bit cooling also.

This technique is known from the Stone Age. For larger holes they used tubular bit made of wood or bone. The discovery of corundum sand enabled to drill through any material.

Old Egyptians used dry quartz sand because it ensured smooth replacement of worn grains by with new ones.

Jan