News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Short platform tool rest?

Started by wilburpan, December 07, 2009, 10:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilburpan

I ran into an issue with a skew chisel that a friend brought over to be sharpened.  His skew chisel certainly had more life in it, but the length of the skew chisel was short enough that the SVS-50 couldn't be used.  One other thing that I noticed was that his skew chisel had a curved edge, but it was much more convex than what I have on my skew chisel, and that the amount of curving probably couldn't be achieved with the SVS-50.

What would have worked really well is a short platform tool rest, on the scale of what typically comes on a dry wheel grinder, like this.

And then I would freehand the curved edge.

The SVD-110 is too long to serve this purpose, and the SVS-32 can't do a skew chisel.  Has Tormek considered coming out with a short version of the SVD-110?  Or maybe I should get another SVD-110 and just cut down the size of the platform?

Jeff Farris

The SVD-110 can be cut down, but another option, and one that I find particularly useful, is to use the back section of the SVX-150 Scissors Jig.  It is about half the width of the SVD-110 and has a very nice low friction plastic bonded to the surface.  I use it in place of the SVD-110 many times, sometimes, even when the tool is big enough to use the SVD-110.
Jeff Farris

jeffs55

Excellent illustration of your problem. It really helps us neophytes to be able to see what is being talked about.
Merry Christmas!
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

wilburpan

Thanks for the tip on the scissors jig.  I'll give that a try.

Ern

Also consider a bit of packing on the platform, rectangular, parallel to the wheel face, maybe 1" deep, fixed with spring clamps.  This allows the handle to clear and freehand control of the tool edge.
Cheers,  Ern