News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Stained Wheel

Started by Window Guy, December 20, 2009, 12:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Window Guy

Good Morning ( at least it is early morning here )

May sound dumb but I bought a Tormek about 5 years ago when I attended the Atlanta Woodworking show. And I have used the Tormek very seldom do to no time in the shop. Now that i am not working I want get back into Wood working both with a few corded tools but mostly with Hand Tools. I have noticed my Wheel is stained it could be rust but I never left water in the tray when not using. My question is what or how do I clean my wheel up or does it matter? I put a coat of wax on the body and mineral oil on the honing wheel and it looks good. I have some chisels and plane irons I am needing to sharpen and before I do I wanted to clean the wheel if before I use.

Thanks for your help !

Steve

Jeff Farris

Steve,

Use the coarse side of the stone grader or take a light cut with the diamond truing tool.  Either will remove the stain and restore the cutting action of the grindstone.
Jeff Farris

Window Guy

Thanks Jeff that is what i figured but was not sure. I have stains also on the sides but I guess that isn't going to matter.

Thanks again !

Steve

Jeff Farris

No, it won't matter, but you can get them off with the coarse side of the stone grader, if you want.
Jeff Farris