News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

pocket knives

Started by rcoslett, November 30, 2009, 10:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcoslett

Hello, I have a Tormek SuperGrind 2000 that I have used for several years with great results.  What is the best way to sharpen a small pocket knife, or small knife, that is too small to fit the jig.  I have tried to free hand, but keeping steady for the right angle is difficult.  Thanks, Rick

Jeff Farris

Rick,

Freehand is the best answer for small knives.  Here are some tips to make freehand grinding more successful.

1) Carefully grade the grindstone with the Stone grader.  By using the grindstone at its finest cutting action, a small change in presentation won't result in a big change in the shape of the bevel.  Spend some extra time with the grader getting it just right.  I normally use the grader for 45 seconds, but when freehand sharpening knives, I may spend a minute and a half working on it, with firm pressure.  It should feel like wet glass to the touch.

2) Work with the wheel turning away from the cutting edge.  It's easier to see what you're doing and easier to feel your presentation angle.

3) Present the knife to the grindstone at the same angle you would use if you were cutting something with the knife.  This seems like a simple concept, but when I tell people this in person, I almost always see a light bulb go on above their heads.  :D

4) Long bevels cut very clean, but don't hold up.  Short bevels are stout, but don't always cut as nicely as you want.  For perspective, I checked the angles on three tools that I freehand grind pretty regularly.  My machete was 45 degrees, my chef's knife was 40 degrees, as was my daily use pocket knife.  My fine whittling knife is at 25 degrees.  All of these angles are the combined angle of both bevels.
Jeff Farris

rcoslett

Jeff,

Thanks, I will practice on some lesser quaility knives, then move up.

Rick