News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Setting for 3/8 Thompson detail gouge

Started by dcwood, November 11, 2009, 04:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcwood

Hi,
Just got my BGM-100. I was wondering if anyone out there has a setting for the Thompson 3/8 detail gouge.  I like the profile that it came with,  but cannot find the right combo to maintain it.  Appreciate any advice.
Thanks
DCWood

Jeff Farris

DC,

Just took a look at the Thompson web site.  Try these.  Jig setting #2, 65mm protrusion, Hole A on the TTS-100.  If that isn't quite it, try taking the jig setting to 2-1/2 or 3.

If you don't have the TTS-100, it would be jig setting #2, 2-1/2" protrusion, and adjust the bar in or out until the bevel matches the grindstone very closely.
Jeff Farris

dcwood

Jeff,
Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid the settings didn't work. There is still a gap between the tip and the heel of the bevel. This gap only gets bigger as I rotate the tool to the side.  It does not follow the side bevel profile.  Extending it to the 2/12 or 3 position made it worse. Taking it down to the 1 position made it too short.  In the middle I can line up the bevel tip to back, but rotating it to it's side does not follow the swept back profile of the side bevel.  I'm a rookie at this and would appreciate any thoughts on this.
On a positive note, I put a nice edge on my 3/8 and 1/2 spindle gouges...very easy and repeatable.
Thanks,
DC

Jeff Farris

Try jig setting 2, 55mm protrusion and the inside (B) hole.  This may be a slightly longer bevel than you have now.
Jeff Farris

dcwood

Jeff,
Thanks again for the reply.  Tried the new settings but the 2 position left a big gap at the heel of the bevel.  Went the other way and tried the 4 position.  Still minor gaps on side bevel but much closer. I'm a little gun shy about changing the shape too much.  I will play around some more.
Thanks,
DC 

Jeff Farris

Quote from: dcwood on November 13, 2009, 04:09:55 AM
.... I'm a little gun shy about changing the shape too much.  I will play around some more.
Thanks,
DC 

If you want to match the shape, forget using the TTS-100.  Set the jig to 3 and the protrusion to 55mm, then match the bevel to the grindstone by adjusting it in and out.  Roll the toll to the side and see if the bevel lays on the stone at the extremes.  If it doesn't, increase or decrease the jig setting, readjust the Universal Support at the middle and check it again. 

There's virtually no shape you can't match, but the settings won't necessarily match the TTS-100.
Jeff Farris

dcwood

Jeff,
Will do and thanks again for the advise.
DC

Keith Bays

Jig Setting=4.25    Protrusion=55   Hole= B

dcwood