News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

BGM featured in Woodturning Design

Started by threestone, November 05, 2009, 01:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestone

I am making a dry grinder setup like the one you provided for the review in W. D.  The  seven and one-half inches from the left side-- is this measured to the metal housing on this grinder or the the edge of the stone?  How far from the front edge is the grinder's base?

Thanks
Jay

Jeff Farris

Jay,

It is hard to say the distance from the "grinder base" because every brand is different.  That particular measurement (that of the block in relationship to the fore and aft of the grinder) is much less critical than the height.  In general, it should be set so that when the Universal Support is all the way in, it is just at the grindstone. Or another way to get to roughly the same place is to mark a line on the base piece that is plumb with the front edge of the grindstone.  This should be the outside edge of your mounting block, if it is exactly the size of the  horizontal base.
Jeff Farris

Ern

Yep, that worked for me.  Used a straight edge on the wheel face to line up the front of the mounting block.

Just a query Jeff ... how do you think the bushes on the jigs will stand up to grit breaking down from the grind wheel?

I ask because some wheel bonds are soft enough to break down while grinding, and also because I used a method to true a new grind wheel with a diamond point truing tool mounted in the straight-edge jig.  (Pointing down I might add, since this is safer and said to be kinder to the diamond).
Cheers,  Ern

Jeff Farris

Ern,

A quick wipe with shop towel and a spritz of Teflon based lube after the job is done, and everything should be just fine.

Which brings up a point. In demonstrating at various retailers and occasionally working on customers machines, I find that overall, few people take the time to wipe off their equipment after use.  Come on guys, get a roll of Scotts shop grade paper towels or a bag of cheap micro-fiber shop towels and give your stuff a quick once-over when you're done with it. It will make an amazing difference in how it performs as well as how long it lasts.

This isn't just Tormek advice, it is for all your tools.

Down off my soapbox now.  ;D
Jeff Farris

Ern

Cheers,  Ern