News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Bowl gouge jig improvement?

Started by Ern, November 04, 2009, 03:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ern

My favorite spindle gouge comes new with a fairly short flute so it's not long before there's none for the stepped brass block to fit into.

The manual suggests grinding a flat on the shaft for the screw to lock down on.

It's hard to place this accurately.  (Any tips?)

I wonder whether this would work better: a slight cove on the bottom of the stepped brass block to allow it to sit crossways on the shaft.  Or indeed a 2nd block with a V groove running lengthways on the bottom.
Cheers,  Ern

Jeff Farris

A cove or vee on the bottom of the clamping pad would not insure that the tool would be flat relative to the flute edges. 

The best tip for grinding a flat on the shank of the tool is to make a friend of someone who has a milling machine.  ;D

Or, find a small machine shop, most of which would do it for a few bucks.
Jeff Farris

Ern

That's true Jeff but for me anyway it would be easier to line up than it would be to grind a flat and errors would be recoverable!

Thinking out loud, maybe fixing a strip of wood across the flute would help orient the shaft clearly vertical for a bit of grinding.

Yes, a good friend was unkind enough recently to swap from machinist to a new career.
Every turner should have a machinist or the like as a friend  8)
Cheers,  Ern

Jeff Farris

Ern,

The clamping pad as it is will clamp a round shank securely.  The issue is just one of alignment, which, as you say, can be accomplished by placing a straight edge across the flutes and manually leveling the tool.  I've also done a surprisingly good job of cutting a flat on a old spindle gouge with a draw file.
Jeff Farris