News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Stone question

Started by psscroller, October 27, 2009, 04:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psscroller

Greetings Jeff F.

I purchased my Tormek 2000 Supergrind in 2004. At the time a salesman suggested I also get the extra stone wheel. Not knowing any better I bought it and just recently pulled it out of storage. It is a 10" 4000 grit. Labeled with King Stone for Tormek. My question is - Is this a stone worthy of putting on my Tormek? I was considering using it for chisels, plane knives and such. What is your opinion on this stone? Be blunt I would rather dump it than hang onto something not worthwhile. My 1000g stone is going strong and at 230mm so there is plenty of life left I believe. Following is information on the sticker if it provides any insight. Is this the same item as listed under the Grindstone section? It is Tan colored.

Named 'Sun Tiger' and made in Osaka, Japan Matsunaga Stone Co.
Abrasive KD
Grain 4000
Grade 7
Structure 10
Bond V
figures 1A

Paul Stroik
Paul S

Jeff Farris

Paul,

That is very similar to the Japanese waterstone that Tormek currently sells.  Here are my thoughts, which apply to both.

A Japanese waterstone on a Tormek can deliver a a very nice edge, as long as you have realistic expectations about how much steel the grindstone can remove. You absolutely never will be able to remove even a slight nick from a tool with one of these stones.  However, if the tool is properly shaped and you are very careful in aligning the tool to the grindstone, it will give you a very, very finely ground surface.

In your situation, I would not look at the stone that you have as a replacement for your SG-250 stone, but rather as a supplement to it.  If you're satisfied with the edge you get using the SG-250, the stone grader and the leather honing wheel, then you might think about eBay for your Japanese waterstone.  It should bring about what you paid for it, if it's never been mounted.
Jeff Farris

psscroller

Paul S

jeffs55

I bought a stone of that type from Woodcraft.com, I think that is right. The first stone wobbled like a weeble but didnt fall down as it was on a shaft. I sent it back and got a replacement that works fine. As Jeff Farris said, if you are happy with the 1000 grit and dont need the other stone, sell it. However, you should keep in mind that some of them wobble. Do you want to sell a stone that is not true? I recommend mounting it to confirm trueness, is that a word? Maybe concentricity is better. Having said all that, are you aware that 4000 grit will enable you to bring an edge to the nth degree of sharpness without the use of the buffing wheel? Finally, if you want to sell the wheel put it on Craigs list first to avoid eBarf seller fees. Woodcraft price is $190 plus shipping.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2001849/2001849.aspx
Bottom line, I like mine.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

psscroller

I did install the 4000g stone last night. First off it was a little hard to put on. Has a soft metal center. Once on I did notice the wobble you mentioned. Not much more than the regular stone which came with the Tormek but still noticeable. The drive rod may have a little bend to it? Anyway, I ran the TT-50 across the stone and it did as you said - put a sharpness on a blade to the nth degree. I may just keep it.
Thanks

Paul
Paul S