News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

TT-50U

Started by psscroller, October 15, 2009, 12:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

psscroller

After putting it off for 2 years I finally purchased the TT-50U and it arrived today. I put it to work right a way and what a difference it made. Much easier to use and more controllable and in my case much better results.

Jeff, here are a couple of questions for you. After sharpening should there be a shiny (mirror like) finish on the blade (ex. skew) or is it supposed to be dull looking? 2nd question - this past week while sharpening my skew chisel with the stone dressed to 220g I noticed deeper gouges (striations) occurring. It took awhile with the 1000g to get the striations out. Did I put to much pressure on the stone when dressing to 220g? This occurred before I got the tt-50u and cleaned up the stone a bit, properly I guess. Also, how long should it take to redress the stone from 220g to 1000g?

Paul
Paul S

Jeff Farris

It takes about a minute with firm pressure to go either direction with the stone grader.

If you do a good job with the grader, creating a very smooth surface on the grindstone, and then use the honing wheel, you can create a mirror polished surface.

Deeper striations indicates that you have the stone doing a good job at the 220 grit.
Jeff Farris