News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Stone Grader Repair

Started by Sawdust_Bob, July 20, 2009, 09:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawdust_Bob

Is their any of repairing my stone grader? I was setting up my BGM-100 to a new stand with my T -7 and turned both the grinder and T - 7 to see if they would vibrate a lot. To my surprise they vibrated very little! I walked to the other side of my shop to get something to test grind and herd a bang! There was enough vibration to vibrate my almost brand new stone grinder of the stand and onto the floor. It is broke in two big pieces and one smaller one. I was thinking that maybe I could glue the pieces together?

Jeff Farris

Don't know what sort of glue would work, Bob.  Sorry.
Jeff Farris

jeffs55

Try a lot Gorilla Glue and if you have wood clamps, use them to firmly join the pieces. Saturate the broken ends so that it fills the voids created by the break, if there are any that is. I havent tried this, just a thought.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

RonJ

I've always had good luck with JB Weld available at automotive, hardware and the local Tractor Supply. Make sure both pieces are dried out,mix the JB and stick together. Don't clamp too tightly and maybe place a piece of wax paper under the stone (this stuff sticks).

DanCostigan

perhaps this will help. In Philadelphia, many years ago I worked for a company that would repair concrete bridges and abutments struck by boats or large ships. These were structurally damaged and cracked concrete structures. The bridge engineers approved of an epoxy product that when dry would structurally pull the broken parts together and actually be stronger than the undamaged concrete product. It was an elaborate process where we would wax the cracked surface and along the surface make tiny openings where we would force the epoxy product into the cracks until the epoxy would come out at different ends. I suspect they are still using this process to repair cracked concrete structures. Perhaps a good high quality epoxy product could be used to bring these two pieces of stone back together. As we did when we repaired cracked bridge structures. The hot wax is used to prevent the epoxy from flowing out of the crack. Prior to using the hot wax place small pieces of tape vertically to the cracked surface when wax dries pull the tape off at the place that you are going to force the epoxy into the crack and one other place where you can visually see that the epoxy has filled the crack entirely.when the epoxy dries it should pull the surfaces together and as long as you true the stone you should have no problems except for perhaps slightly out of round and balance but it should run true. let us know how this works. and in thinking about this I would also use a clamp to clamp the stones together not too tight or too lose because you do not want too much epoxy or too little epoxy but just enough so that you can wet both surfaces and as it dries it will begin to shrink slightly hopefully bringing the stones back to the original form and dimensions.