News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Which jig for turning tools?

Started by paulcomi, July 18, 2009, 05:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulcomi

As a new user to the the Tormek system it appears that the universal jig is similar to the SVS-50 multi jig when it comes to sharpening turning tools, except that its more limited.

I'm thinking I can sharpen all my turning tools (I have a 6 pc HSS set with several gouges, skew, parting tool, scraper) with the SVS-50.

So, if the SVS-50 will sharpen fingernail gouges, why would one ever need the universal jig for gouges?

Jeff Farris

The SVS-50 cannot produce a fingernail or any other side ground profile.  It produces an straight across profile only.  The SVD-185 is the jig used to create fingernail and side ground profiles.
Jeff Farris

larsfarm

Do you need both or can SVD-185 do everything that SVS-50 can do?

Jeff Farris

The SVD-185 is designed for side grind and fingernail profiles.  The SVS-50 is designed for straight grinds (such as used on spindle roughing gouges) and skew chisels.  You can't grind a straight grind with the SVD-185 nor can you sharpen a skew with it. 

The SVS-50 is a very versatile jig, and if you are a turner that does not use side grinds, it would be the most useful jig to own.  However, the turning versatility of the side grind profile leads me to suggest that anyone serious about learning to turn needs both (and the SVD-110 for scrapers as well).
Jeff Farris

Jim H

I recently purchased a BGM-100, TTS-100, and SVD-185.  I fugured out the settings and am quite happy with the sharpening of a 1" and 3/4" roughing gouge, but can NOT figure out the settings to SHAPE and SHARPEN a 3/8" fingernail gouges.  Can you advise?

Jeff Farris

For beginning to intermediate turners I would suggest the settings of 65mm protrusion, jig setting #2 and Universal Support positioned by Hole A on the TTS-100. 

The other detail gouge setting is 55mm protrustion, jig setting #2, and Hole B. 

Also, make sure that your SVD-185 has the correct positioning on arrow.  See this page:  http://www.tormek.com/en/jigs/svd180/svd185_arrow.php
Jeff Farris