News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Ellsworth Bowl Gouge

Started by ronee, April 16, 2009, 02:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronee

I am considering purchasing an Ellsworth Bowl Gouge.  Can this be sharpened with the Tormek jig (s) rather than the Ellsworth jig?  Has anyone used this gouge for bowls and sharpened on the Tormek?

aunsell

HI
Yes the tormek Jig will work. be sure to get the new tool setter that is used to set all the Fingernail gouges, it comes with a book, and there is a Jig setting in there specifically for setting the Elsworth Gouge.
It is really important if you don't have the Fingernail gouge setting Jig to get it. It makes set-up and repeatability SUPER easy and acurate every time.
But the Jig settings are as follows For the Elsworth grind,   Jig setting 6 (the turning jig has numbers 1-5 marked on it, 6 is just the next notch), 65mm protrusion, and set the tool rest to the first hole on the setter Jig, and you should be all ready to go. I use it all the time on my Pro-Pm Elsworth Gouge, best gouge i gave ever used so far, and my moste used !
It does an amazing Job !
Adam ;D

ronee

Thanks for the info.  I have the book and DVD, so I will purchase and use the Ellsworth gouge.  Glad to hear that it works as well as I have heard it does.

Ern

This is a bit late but I've just joined the forum and have been enjoying reading the posts.

Ellsworth is insistent that you maintain the original 60 degree bevel at the tip; it sure makes hollowing around the transition from wall to base in a bowl easier than lower angles.

Cheers,  Ern