News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New T-7, stone wheel wobbles

Started by djs2469, May 28, 2009, 01:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djs2469

I just purchased a T-7 and the stone wheel wobbles. I took the wheel off and re-tightened according to the directions (couple of light taps with a hammer on the wrench to tighten the nut) and it still wobbles. I've noticed that the shaft has some play in it. Any suggestions? 

Jeff Farris

What is the deviation?  The allowable tolerances are in the Owner's Handbook.

In general, a slight side to side deviation is normal and will not affect performance.  A wide deviation, outside the tolerances published,  may not affect performance, but is annoying and should be corrected.

Let's first establish that the deviation is outside tolerance, and then we can deal with correction.

Hold a small ruler against the inside of the stone.  Turning the stone by hand, allow the ruler to "float" for one revolution of the stone.  This should force the ruler to the maximum travel away from the axis.  Then rotate the stone until the space between the end of the ruler and the stone is at its maximum.  The space between the stone and the ruler at that point is your total deviation.  Let me know what that is, and we'll take it from there.

By the way,

If that total deviation is smaller than the published tolerance, it may be even further minimized with the following procedure.  Loosen the nut holding the stone.  Using a thin screwdriver, turn the washer on the inside of the stone about 1/4 revolution.  Retighten the stone and check for deviation again.  At some point in the circumference of the inside washer, you should find the "sweet spot" where any minor imperfections in the stone surface are properly compensated.
Jeff Farris

djs2469

1/4 turn worked. Everthing is fine and with in tolerence. Thanks

gsab1

OK for stone wheel but I have that problem with the honing wheel, It really wobbles. I imagine that is not affecting the honing too much but it is awfully frustraing watching this thing wobble to and fro. What can I do.

Jeff Farris

The drive wheel has three holes in it.  The honing wheel has three pins.  Make sure the pins are located in the holes.  If not, the wheel will be quite out of line.
Jeff Farris