News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Wheel out of balance

Started by psscroller, April 14, 2009, 03:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

psscroller

Hi Jeff, A question on my drive wheel - under the honing wheel! It is out of balance and this is accentuated on the honing wheel. Shaft is straight and true. I laid the drive tire on a flat surface and it is noticeable and definitely the plastic drive wheel. Does not appear to be affecting the honing aspect. Somehow the plastic wheel warped!? Maybe about an 1/8 inch out of true.

Cause for concern?? Anyway to make it true - flatten it out? Ton of weight lying around - might do the trick.

Other than that everything is working fine yet with the Supergrind 2000. Great machine.
Paul S

Jeff Farris

If the wheel is warped, that's probably not going to affect performance, but might be annoying.  If that is what you're describing, see if you can take a photo showing the amount of deflection so that I can take a look.

If you're saying the tire has a "hump" or "bump" in it, that is normal.  When the machine is sitting unused, the motor shaft rests against the tire in one spot.  It is normal for that spot to retain some of it's depression when the machine is started.  This will cause the motor to give a soft bounce with each full revolution of the drive tire.  As the machine runs, the depression dissipates more and more, eventually becoming undetectable. 
Jeff Farris

psscroller

Well Jeff, I think I found the problem. I removed all the wheels down to the drive tire and ran the unit and then added each succeeding component (honing wheel, extended shaft, then the burr removing wheels) each time watching the wheel to begin wobbling. The extended shaft (which I installed for the turning tools) was apparently to tight and this is where it began its wobbling. Loosening the extended shaft has almost completely eliminated the out of balance (wobble) issue. Sometimes to tight is not so good. All seems to be better now - Thank you.
Paul S