News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Blackstone Silicon Stone questions

Started by Nevnz, April 02, 2009, 12:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nevnz

Hi there - First of all I am new to This Tormek forum but I think it is a great service and I am already finding it very helpful - reading the posts and replies. Thankyou for this.

I am a woodturner and Tormek 2000 owner - it is a very good system. I mostly turn bowls from NZ swamp kauri (wood that has been buried for thousands of years) which can be very abrasive on the gouges so I need to sharpen very often. I find I have a lot of down time in dressing (trueing) the stone, as it very soon has ruts form in the surface when rolling the gouge in the SVD185 jig - mostly where the nose of the gouge contacts the stone. I was considering an after market Diamond wheel but have since found out that they haven't been successful. So I was more than interested to hear of the arrival of the new Tormek Blackstone Silicon stone.

I have looked for reviews or feedback regarding the SB-250 but I guess it is early days yet for that. Have you done any comparison trials with the new SB-250 stone against the original SG-250? Or maybe you have had feedback from owners of the SB-250? How much harder is this new abrasive composition compared to the original? How often would you need to dress (not meaning grading) the stone in comparison - ie - half as many times or a quarter as many times or less? 99% of the tools I sharpen are HSS. Maybe even knowing what the composition of the wheel would help. I would be more than happy if I could cut down the time consuming dressing/trueing of the stone. It would make a very good system become even better! I just want to make certain there will be a significant improvement before I take the plunge and buy the SB-250. I will value any advice regarding this.
Thankyou - Neville