News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New Tormek Black Silicon Stone

Started by aunsell, March 08, 2009, 10:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aunsell

???

Hi all I am new to this forum but I have been using the Tormek for about 4 yrs. I work at my favorite store Woodcraft, so I get to try/buy lots of new and cool stuff.

Ok,, well I just got the new Tormek Black Silicon Stone and I am still on the verdict wether i like it or not?
I have sharpened about 5 tools; 2 fingernail gouges, 2 chissles, and one plane blade, and I can't tell wether it is faster or not.

The stone feels like it cuts and sounds different, it seems it cuts almost slower than the origonal, and when I grade it, it dosn't feel like it did anything. Am I doing something wrong, or is it going to feel way different? ??? Can the stone grader ware out on the rough side? I know it can on the smoothe side

If this stone is intended to cut faster, is it going to load up faster and I will have to grade more frequently?

Has anyone used it and what are your thoughts?

Adam

Jeff Farris

The Blackstone will not cut normal carbon steel as well as the Original SG-250.  It is formulated specifically for high speed steel and exotic alloys.

It takes a longer application with more pressure to achieve the same results with the stone grader.  At its best, it's not quite as smooth as the SG.

The stone grader will wear on both sides as it is used.  This is normal and expected.  In fact, if it isn't wearing, you're not doing it right.  ;D
Jeff Farris

aunsell

Hi
So if the new stone is the equivelant grits as the other stone, 220/1000, how is the Black stone not quite as smoothe?

And i'm not quite sure I understand why Carbon steel that is a softer metal than HSS would cut slower.

How much faster is an exotic alloy steel going to cut on the new v.s. the old stone, and it enough to justify a cost of near $200.

Jeff Farris

The grit size of the graded stone is an approximation, not a true, measured, screened particle size.

I'm neither a metallurgist nor an abrasives expert, so I can't answer why the SB cuts HSS faster, but doesn't cut carbon steel as fast.  But, I can tell you that the metallurgists and the abrasive experts told me it worked that way, and I've experienced it in the shop.

How much faster?  Significantly.  Shaping a fingernail gouge takes about 2/3 the time.  That's a rough estimation, having done 3 or 4 tools (no stopwatch).  The other issue on the SB is that it has better wear characteristics when shaping turning tools.

Is it worth it?  That's up to the individual.  If you're a hard core turner, it very likely will be an advantage for you in the long run. If you do jointer and/or planer blades more than a couple times a year, it could save you some time and money.  For low volume, general purpose sharpening, probably not.
Jeff Farris

jeffs55

Jeff, I have no interest in this stone but I do own a Tormek. My comment centers on the fact that this time as well as many others you give a straight answer. Not to imply that you have been less than candid elsewhere but certainly not here or anywhere that I have read. You may have cost yourself some sales but the truth took precedence. Good job. All I do with my Tormek is sharpen knives and it will sure do that!
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.