News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

regrinding versus rehoning

Started by lym, March 07, 2009, 06:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lym

still on the learning curve with my t-7.  results are good and working toward perfect.  when resharpening, is it better to regrind every time or re hone?

also, i can see that with the angle finder, it's easy to get the same angle but what about the curved tip?  any hints as to how to keep that consistent?

thanks.

Jeff Farris

If you want a fresh edge on a tool that is in reasonably good condition to start with (still sharp, but not perfect), paint the bevel with a waterproof marker. Grade the grindstone to the fine finish.  Adjust the Universal Support until moving the grindstone by hand scratches the marker from the top to the bottom of the bevel.  Now just a few seconds of work should yield a wire edge, and then you can move to the leather honing wheel.

I'm not following you on the second question.
Jeff Farris

lym

thanks, that was a fast reply.

what i mean in the 2nd question is how do you keep the edge  angle of the tip consistent as it would be very hard to mount the blade (toward the tip or toward the handle) in the same position when resharpening.