News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Mini turning tools

Started by malathan, August 30, 2006, 08:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malathan

The main turning tools I use are short (mini turning tools). I am finding
they are too short for the various jigs; the skew just comes out of the SVS
50 jig just enough to show the blade edge. The gouge I use is too short for
the SVD 185 and using it in the short jig, I can't roll the jig side to side
enough to get the edges.

Is there a way to sharpen them on the tormek (shy of attempting to do so by hand)?  At this point, it looks like I am still stuck using a dry grinder unless anyone has any experience sharpening short turning tools.

Jeff Farris

Try using a shorter protrusion on the gouge in the SVD-185.  You don't have to use 2-1/2 inches, you can use any protrusion, as long as you are consistent with it. 1-1/2 inches should work.

On your skew, use the open seat. The skew angle is also adjustable on the open seat.
Jeff Farris

Mark H.

Jeff, I too have a new short set of turning tools for pencil/pen making.  I tried your advice to use just the open seat on my oval skew, but I'm coming up short.  The shaft is 3 inches long to the brass ferrell, the original edge angle is 40 degrees with a skew angle of about 25 degrees.  To duplicate this setup, I can't get the the univeral support enough to the stone to get the bevel flat on the stone (I'm working with the support in the horizontal position).  Also the bottom screw on the jig hits the stone.  Any suggestions?  I might be stuck sharpening freehand using the support and my figure as a guide, but I'd rather get your thoughts first.

Mark H.

Oops, I should proof my posts first.  I meant "my finger" as a guide, not "my figure."

Jeff Farris

With something that short, I think you're right. Freehand is probably your best choice.  For skews, I use the side of the stone for freehand sharpening.
Jeff Farris

Mark H.

Thanks Jeff.  BTW, when you freehand the skew on the side of the stone, do you sharpen the left bevel with the stone turning away from you, switch your position,  and gring the right bevel with the stone turing towards you?

Jeff Farris

Hadn't really thought about it. I don't turn the machine around or use both sides of the stone, so as you are pointing out, one bevel is being ground with the wheel turning into the edge and the other is being ground with the wheel turning away from the edge.  I have never noticed that it caused any discernable difference.
Jeff Farris