News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SVD-180 and SVD-185

Started by Rich102, December 29, 2008, 08:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich102

Hi,
I have an early SVD-180. How is the SVD-185 different and can I upgrade the SVD-180?
Also I have play in the plastic/nylon sleeve that slides on the universal support. Is there a replacement part for this?
Thanks,
Rich.

Rich102

Jeff Farris

The difference is that the SVD-185 has an improved clamping pad that does a better job of centering the gouge in the jig, and will do it with virtually any size or style of gouge.  The SVD-185 also has an adapter to sharpen small scraper insert tips. The SVD-180 can be upgraded to the SVD-185 with the SVD-005 Upgrade Kit. For USA customers, visit http://www.tormekstore.com and click the link for "Upgrades & Replacements".  The replacement bushings are available in the section titled "Repair Parts".
Jeff Farris

Rich102

creeve

Jeff,

Is it correct the SVD-005 Upgrade Kit does not come with the larger M8 replacement bushing required to fully upgrade a SVD-180 to a SVD-185 (so the new larger knob screw can be screwed into the old holder with a smaller bushing)?

Thanks,
  Chris

Jeff Farris

Chris,

The M-8 insert is only needed on the very first production run of the SVD-180, which is a small percentage of the total production of the SVD-180.  It is available at no charge to anyone who purchases the SVD-005.  Unfortunately we've not done a very good job of explaining that either before or after the sale of the SVD-005. 

Do you need one? 
Jeff Farris

Jeff Farris

Chris,

Noticed that you had an order with our parts department for the M-8 insert, but I didn't catch it before your credit card was processed.  A credit for the purchase was issued today.
Jeff Farris

creeve

Hi Jeff,

Excellent customer services - providing me credit for my M-8 insert purchase without me even asking (since I had a first production run of the SVD-180)!!

I received the insert in the mail in a day or so from when I ordered it and installed it and forgot to check this site for the reply to my question.

I just noticed on my credit card statement that I received a credit for the purchase of the M-8 insert and logged onto this site to thank you.

Chris