News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

truing

Started by Tim N, April 12, 2004, 07:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim N

I had to use my diamond truing tool for the first time today..very nervously I admit, and when I was done my stone looked like an old LP record. It was true again, but had divots. I looked at the tip of the tool and it had a ridge in it. I turned it in the tool and took a little more off and it did get better. Has this happened to anyone, and what am I supposed to do?

Jeff Farris

While ridges left by the diamond are common and easily dealt with, you can minimize them by moving the truing tool very slowly across the stone, never feeding it faster than it delivers a smooth surface.  

If you get ridges, use the coarse side of the stone grader to knock them down.  You do not need to get out white lines.  White lines are negative (below the surface not above it).  The will not affect the cut of your grindstone.
Jeff Farris

sharpenuff

Who says lightening doesn't strike twice?  We must have had the same brite idea at the same time.  I did the same thing and had the same experience.  Before logging on here I took the grading stone to my LP:) and got the nasty looking groves to it and the pretty much went away.  The I fired off an "oh poor me" email to Jeff, who in him own inimitably professional fashion replied in quick time and told me the same thing he posted here.  A great information gatherer I am, the 411 was here already and I didn't bother to look. <SLAP> :P