News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

changing Tormek thoughts

Started by Ken S, Yesterday at 02:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have changed my thoughts about Tormek since purchasing my first T7 in 2009. I should also say that I believe Tormek has also changed, as have user expectations. Several factors have influenced these changed my thoughts, some directly related to Tormek and some not.

When I started, the US market was essentially only the larger machines, the T7 and older machines. Tormek began this change with the introduction of the T4, a professional quality smaller machine and the first machine to incorporate the higher precision machined cast zinc top now part of the T8. On a personal level, as a senior citizen I appreciate the lighter weight and compact size of the T4. The smaller machines are not for all users; however, I am pleased to see Tormek realizing that their users includes more than professional and heavy needs users.

I started using my Tormek with woodworking tools, the original purpose of Tormek machines. I was fortunate enough to be mentored by Steve Bottorff and Stig Reitan, who introduced me to knife sharpening. While I am still convinced that the high volume professional knife sharpener is best served by the T8 and older full size machines, I am pleased that Tormek has introduced the T2 and T1 specialty machines for lower volume professional and home users, a group which includes me. I do not have the constraint of having to sharpening one hundred knives on a Saturday morning or many neglected or abused knives. I believe there are many Tormek users like me who appreciate having a Tormek to maintain a high degree of sharpness on their family knives. Samuel's answer to my question during the T1 online class resonated with me. His T8 is in his garage and his T1 is in his kitchen. He uses the composite honing wheel on his T1 before every cooking session. His knives are always in optimum condition.

In Ohio where I live, many families have two vehicles. Often, "the second family car" is a truck. While they cross function, a car and a truck each have different areas of better performance. Most kitchens have both conventional and microwave ovens. Most workshops have several related but not identical tools. Why should we expect one Tormek to handle all sharpening situations equally well?

Some users will complain about the cost of purchasing a second Tormek unit. I understand this, although I am somewhat puzzled if the same users do not think twice about the cost of an SJ-250 Japanese grinding wheel.

I believe future Tormek users will continue to be more demanding and innovations will continue to be more specialized. I look forward optimistically.

Ken

tgbto

There are still a few who might think the T1 is an expensive honing station, or that it uses quite a bit of real estate in a kitchen.

For those, a fine ceramic rod with an angle guide will go a long way towards keeping T8-garage-sharpened knives in good condition.

Ken S

One of the benefits of this forum is that there is room for different opinions. I respect the rights of my fellow members whose opinions differ from mine.

Ken