News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Are You ≈5’5” (165 cm.)? What Height is Your T-8 Stand?

Started by pmillen, August 16, 2024, 06:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmillen

I just received my T-8.  I'm trying to figure out what height stand will suit me.  I perused all 135 pages of this section looking for usable information.  There are a few discussions with general information and advice on trying various heights but nothing that gives me a starting point.

I'm 5'5" (165 cm.) with 31" (≈78 cm.) arms.  I'm hopeful that there's a T-8 user here that has found comfortable seated and/or standing heights and who can suggest a T-8 stand starting point for my trials.

It would be helpful if some smart person developed a formula for way to calculate the approximate tool stand height based on overall body height or perhaps hand height when held in working position.

bobmcc81

Hi, I'm on the same hunt.  I just picked up my T-8 this morning.  The inventors are pretty smart so I figured they put some brain power behind designing the height of the $900 cart they sell. It's adjustable 29" - 32 1/2" high
I am 5' 11" and at a casual stance like I would work at a workbench my bent elbow is 44" from the ground so that leaves the Tormek wanting about 14" tall
When I sit down, which is my preferred sharpening position that same elbow measurement is 28"
Add 14" for the Tormek and I'm going to start with some contraption or table at 28" minus 14" and try it before I build anything specific for it.
This is ALL theory but thought I would add it to the thread for anyone to jump in on.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Paul. You ask a good question, one of those "it depends" question.

Page 39 of the handbook suggests a height of the bench of 750 to 830 29" to 33"). I would suggest that as a starting point rather than a final solution.

Many years ago, Jeff Farris, did an episode of The New Yankee Workshop with Norm Abram. Jeff demonstrated the Tormek and Norm built a work station. Part of the design was a pull out step which raised the operator several inches.

My suggestion is to start out with a temporary set up  somewhere between 750 and 800 mm and make a simple platform out of 2x4s to stand on to fine tune your preferred height.

Ken

Columbo

I've been trying to fine-tune that set up myself.
I'm actually awaiting the Shop fox electric adjustable table that can also hold two T8s side-by-side. I also like sitting down on my desk chair and bending over to a little table that I bought on Amazon.

I'd say it's about 10" x 9" and 11" high. then I drilled in with four screws to the platform of this table 18 x 14" plastic tray to hold water dripage. I can't figure out how to upload a picture. I'm sure it's what it's in one of those icons up top but can't figure it out. You can also order cheap silicone or rubber doggy mats on Amazon that has a little bit of a lip as well. 

I like the late Dr Vadim Kraichuk Sitting down set up. It's a lot more sturdier than mine not that mine shakes. It's pretty sturdy. But I might build another two by fours as with his.  

Then there's lighting that's another matter altogether as well. I'm awaiting a special lamp from Wood Turners Wonder as well.

Beaker

I am 5'4" and custom built a stand that is 54 cm tall.  It is perfect height for sharpening in a standing position.

Ken S