News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Spacer Tube Replacement

Started by DT, August 21, 2024, 04:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DT

1/2 inch hot and cold potable water CPVC pipe fits perfectly on my T4 shaft.  The pipe has a 1/2 inch inside diameter.   Same size as the original spacer.   

Cut the pipe length to whatever the width of grinding wheel is.

Home Depot sells a 2 foot piece for $3.38 plus they offer a 10% discount to veterans.

Ken S

I have made several spacers out of plastic water pipe. The pipe I used had 7/16" inside diameter and 5/8" outside diameter. Make sure the pipe you use indeed has a 1/2" inside diameter. I did not have a 12mm drill bit, so I ended up using a 31/64" bit and reaming out the hole slightly. It works adequately well.

Sharpening Supplies added the spacer at my suggestion. These are the same spacers as supplied with new machines. If you want to go this route, I suggest emailing them first to check on availability and shipping cost. This is often best combined with a larger order to lower shipping costs.
Here is a link:

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/products/transport-wheel-spacer-bushing-for-t-8

There is also a super deluxe option available from Schleifjunkies. It is a well machined larger piece of delrin. It is pricey, but, in my ooinion, well worth the cost.

Ifyou want to go the DIY route, using plastic pipe is quick and easy. Chances are, you or someone you know has a short length.

Ken

RickKrung

Plastic pipe makes and excellent spacer and I think there is no need to make the inside diameter match closely to the shaft diameter, it just need to be enough larger to fit on easily.  Using the two washers/spacers clamps an oversized ID quite adequately for the need, of spacing and keeping the shaft in place for operating without a grinding wheel and/or storage/transportation.

I made a close fitting aluminum spacer, 1" OD and reamed 12mm ID.  it is TOO snug sometimes, with the fine residue that often covers the shaft.  Haven't had it freeze the spacer yet, but it can be more tight than needed at times. 

1/2" ID may be preferable.  1/2" = 0.5000", 12mm = 0.472"  Diff. = 0.028"
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

AusSn

I liked the idea of the delrin one but the shipping was $45.

This aluminum one fits perfectly. Slides right on.

https://metalspacersonline.com/products/aluminum-spacer-1-od-x-1-2-id?variant=45390574387508

1" OD, 0.5" ID, 1.75" long

This vendor also sells thru Amazon but you have to buy 2 or more of them.

tgbto

There is also this 3d model and maybe this one, that could help if you have access to a 3d printer in your community. Material cost is below half a dollar.

Ken S

I understand the frustration with shipping internationally. (I paid twice for spacer orders shipped from Germany to US,  :(   ) I prefer the delrin spacers. They are substantial. I have concerns, probably unfounded, about possible problems with different metals.

The built in threads is a clever idea; however, with my memory,I would be concerned with misplacing the EZYlock nut.

With these choices and now original Tormek replacements available from Sharpening Supplies, we now have several good choices.  :)

Ken