News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

an interesting point

Started by Ken S, July 23, 2024, 11:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I found this video interesting. Although the presenter uses two high speed dry grinders and both CBN and conventional grinding wheels, his thoughts could be applied to a Tormek and diamond and/or conventional grinding wheels.

He describes himself as an active hobbiest woodturner who does sell some bowls. For several years, he used his $120 eight inch dry grinder with the 80 and 120 grit supplied grinding wheels. He found this combination satisfactory for his needs. Then he upgraded to a one horsepower grinder with 80 and 600 grit CBN wheels. He basically had no complaints with the sharpening quality of his new thiusand dollar rig. It works as wel as his old one hundred twenty dollar rig. He did note that the old rig required a fifteen dollar diamond T truing and dressing tool.

His criticism of the new rig was that, for his essentially hobbiest use, he felt the much larger cost was overkill. In fairness, I must also state, that a set up with a couple diamond wheels could also be considered overkill for him.

There is nothing wrong with a fancy CBN or diamond rig, although for many years we made do with an SG-250 at most more modest cost. Since almost sharpening is restoring the existing bevel, the old combination still works for thrifty sharpeners. Here is a link:

https://youtu.be/4V1r1oFJa8c?si=zehFcYDltDbJs92y

Ken

John Hancock Sr

I think at the beginning when he used the term HSS he meant carbon steel. Other than that good overview.

Ken S

John, your point is noted, as well as your good overview. As the presenter is a hobbiest turner rather than a professional turner, I am inclined to overlook the misstep. I think his basic premise, that, for his needs, his basic grinder and included wheels were sufficient, is valid.

The sharpening community includes those of us with many sharpening "needs". Often those with simple needs may be overlooked.

Ken

PS I trust your son is doing well with his T7 and veteran coach.

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: Ken S on July 24, 2024, 11:12:39 AMPS I trust your son is doing well with his T7 and veteran coach.

He is loving it. He only has a very small shed so his setup is extremely tight to say the least. TBH he surpassed me in his skill levels quite some time ago.

You can see some of his work here
https://www.facebook.com/p/JHancock-Drums-100046953531754/

tgbto

John, those drums are beautiful. You must be very proud.

Ken S

John,

Your son's outstanding work speaks very well of both him and his inspiring coach. Well done!

Ken

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: tgbto on July 25, 2024, 08:47:20 AMohn, those drums are beautiful. You must be very proud.
I certainly am. They look as good in person as they do in the pictures.

Quote from: Ken S on July 25, 2024, 11:59:46 AMYour son's outstanding work speaks very well of both him and his inspiring coach. Well done!
When he was starting out we had long discussions on tools and techniques but I am the one asking him now.

A couple of years ago he decided to make a work bench using only hand tools. He used a very hard very dense Australian hard wood called Iron Wood (for very good reason). That was a really good introduction to hand tools.

Having said that he uses a lot of custom jigs in his drum making. Being a trained welder comes in very handy for jig making.