News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

3d printed jig

Started by Temo, July 16, 2024, 02:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Temo

Hello
So I made a simple 3d-model of the Tormek 8 to see if I could make a 3d printed jig to do my drill bits.

The green slide goes side to side, the red slide goes back an forth onto the stone. The jig takes 3-6mm drill bits and clamp them with 2-3 set screw depending on the lengt. The jig is symmetric and the drill bits senter with a tangent surface inside the slide, it can be flipped over sideways without any adjustment to the drill bit.

There are two shoulder screws on both sides that follow a slot in the green part for you drill bit angle, here 58 degree. Set the SVD110 to the angle you need for your primary and secondary bevel.

Have anyone in here tried this approach before? Se the attached pictures, right click the picture and choose open in new tab, and you will get the full version.

Terje
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

RichColvin

Would you share the STL files?
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Temo

Hello Rich
I haven't got to the point of making any STL's yet, what STL in particular where you asking about?

What do you think of the project, is it doable the way I designed it?

Terje

RichColvin

I think it could work, but I have the Tormek DBS and like how it offers the ability to change the point angle, and to add a secondary bevel.  Those seem to be limitations to what you're advocating.

But I believe the use of the SVD-110 tool rest is awesome.  I particularly want to use the green part from your pictures in a design I'm working on for a goniostat. 
Rich Colvin

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Temo

Not a problem, I drew it in Solidworks 2021, so any file you can use from that?

I'm not sure I understand the comment about the secondary angle, my understanding is that you would first set the SVD-110 to the angle you need for your primary bevel, then after that has been grinded, change the SVD-110 to the angle for your secondary bevel and grinde that. As for the point angle, one can add more slots in the green plate for the ange one wants.

Terje

RichColvin

That could work.  One more thing I was thinking about (as it came up when looking at sharpening milling bits) is that the wings must be equal sized and come to a point at exactly the axis of rotation of the drilling bit.  The DBS-22 has a stop built in to that each wing is ground the same.
Rich Colvin

Temo

ok, I will have to think about that.

Like it is now the jig is taking drill bits from 3-6 mm. It will then never be 100% symmetric as they all push against the same surface with varying diameters. One would have to have the drill bit in dead senter of the red part, then it would make both wings the same, just a matter of hitting the end of the slot, then fine adjust how much you want to take of with the screw on the universal rest(moving the SVD-110 closer to the stone as you need). I don't think it will be much of any way if one carefully grind and look at the result under way.

Alternatively one could print the red part to match the drill bit diameter.

If you se the new transparent render, you will see how the drill bit is hold inside the slide, the two slots and the two shoulder screws that stops in the end of the slots(it's the same shoulder screws that you see at the top of the part, they come in use when you flip the part/drill bit).

Terje
You cannot view this attachment.

Temo

Hello
So here we go: by using dowel pins one should now be able to grind both sides equal.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.