News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Motor turns but wheels do not.

Started by pietopper, July 13, 2024, 04:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pietopper

When I first got my T1, I set it up and checked, everything was fine. It has a great quality feel to it, the motor hums with a reassuring smooth sound.
I went to the kitchen and fetched a knife. When I turned it on, the motor hummed but the wheels did not turn. Diagnostics:
Tried other power points. No.
Tried other power circuits. No.
Checked that the nuts on the axles were tight (getting desperate) No.
I then had correspondence with Amazon and Tormek, and in due course, the T1 was replaced.
Set it up, turned it on -- the wheels turned!
Went to the kitchen, fetched a knife
Turned it on -- motor hummed, wheels did not turn.
Ugly words.
Went through the whole routine again.
At some stage, it started working. Good. But nervous. Sharpened multiple knives.
The next day I sharpened more knives.
Just for fun, I sharpened our bone-handled steak knives as well. (Good idea by the way, the serrations were worn away over the many years)
A few months later, time to sharpen again.
The wheels don't turn! It made an abnormal click when I first turned it on and then the motor wehn on but the wheels not.
Tried other power points. No.
Tried other power circuits. No.
Checked that the nuts on the axles were tight (getting desperate) No.

Analysis.
It seems very unlikely that two machines have the same fault, one that is so rare that it has not been reported here or anywhere else. So the fault must be on my side.
But:
The electrical system has been inspected, brought up to code, improved, inspected again and is now (in my opinion) in perfect shape.

Ideas?

cbwx34

Quote from: pietopper on July 13, 2024, 04:53:40 PM...
It seems very unlikely that two machines have the same fault, one that is so rare that it has not been reported here or anywhere else. So the fault must be on my side.

I wouldn't dismiss that 2 machines couldn't have the same fault... since they're probably batch produced.  I'd contact Tormek Support again.  If they got your other machine back, although a small chance, maybe they could tell you if they found anything wrong.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Have you heard anything more from Tormek support?

Ken