News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Revisiting my Tormek

Started by Segovia123, June 12, 2024, 11:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segovia123

Having laid idle for about a year I am revisiting my Tormek. 

I put a new primary bevel on a wide plane blade yesterday and have two issues.

1, The edge isn't square, I think I have found a solution for this by aligning to the edge of the wheel and don't trust the jig.

2, I have trimmed the wheel twice and can't get it square, it's about 0.0015" out of square, any recommendations as to how I resolve this ?   

Dan

Hello, you said "I have trimmed the wheel twice".
Did you use the TT-50 to re-true the stone?

https://tormek.com/en/products/accessories/tt-50-truing-tool

Which model Tormek do you have?

Dan

Frome the picture, I am guessing it is a T4 or one of the older smaller models

cbwx34

Quote from: Segovia123 on June 12, 2024, 11:15:11 AMHaving laid idle for about a year I am revisiting my Tormek. 

1, The edge isn't square, I think I have found a solution for this by aligning to the edge of the wheel and don't trust the jig.

2, I have trimmed the wheel twice and can't get it square, it's about 0.0015" out of square, any recommendations as to how I resolve this ? 

"Aligning to the edge of the wheel" is a solution in one of the Tormek videos...

https://www.youtube.com/live/8uLMWXqobRM?si=kAAkHwN4Fj43RtHE&t=1465

... there's also some other tips on what to do.

As for truing the wheel square (assuming your square is accuarte ;) ), and as Dan said, you're using the TT-50, (if so, which model?),  I'd check to see if your USB is square to the side of the wheel.  If so, my next suggestion would be to make very light passes to true the wheel, so that it doesn't "push up" against the USB.  I'd make the last past a .10mm or less, (turning the Microadjust less than 1/2 the distance between two numbers) and see if that helps.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

tgbto

Yup, as mentioned in several other posts, the "aligning against the side" tip works only if the USB is square to the side of the wheel. That has to be checked first.

It is square (within my measurements tolerances at least) on both of my T8s. The main reasons I can see for that not being the case are :
- bent USB
- wrong tightening technique for USB legs (one should press down on the leg with the MicroAdjust, tighten, then tighten the other one)

Dan

Quote from: tgbto on June 12, 2024, 05:18:03 PM...It is square (within my measurements tolerances at least) on both of my T8s...

The wheel on my T8 also seems pretty square to the USB as well as I can measure it.

cbwx34

Quote from: tgbto on June 12, 2024, 05:18:03 PM...
- wrong tightening technique for USB legs (one should press down on the leg with the MicroAdjust, tighten, then tighten the other one)

I'm glad you brought this up.  I know this is what Tormek recommends, but I now do the opposite, I push down on the other leg first.  The reason is I found that, for example, the Truing Tool which pushes up against the USB... if I push down on the MicroAdjust side first, the TT can push up and cause the USB to tip (enough that I can turn the MicroAdjust almost .5mm).  But, if I push down on the opposite side first, it's locked in place and won't move.  Obviously, I could tighten things down enough so that it doesn't matter (and of course light passes), just one more thing I don't have to think about.

Probably doesn't make a difference in reality (but if someone is measuring to 0.0015", it might.)

What'd ya think?

Segovia123

Quote from: Dan on June 12, 2024, 01:55:53 PMHello, you said "I have trimmed the wheel twice".

yes I used the TT50

Segovia123

Quote from: Dan on June 12, 2024, 01:55:53 PMHello, you said "I have trimmed the wheel twice".

Its the  T4

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: Segovia123 on June 12, 2024, 11:15:11 AMit's about 0.0015" out of square

To be honest 1.5 thou out of square is pretty close. There is enough flex in the bar that you are doing well to get it that close.

Segovia123

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 12, 2024, 03:55:12 PM
Quote from: Segovia123 on June 12, 2024, 11:15:11 AMHaving laid idle for about a year I am revisiting my Tormek. 

"Aligning to the edge of the wheel" is a solution in one of the Tormek videos...

https://www.youtube.com/live/8uLMWXqobRM?si=kAAkHwN4Fj43RtHE&t=1465

... there's also some other tips on what to do.

As for truing the wheel square (assuming your square is accuarte ;) ), and as Dan said, you're using the TT-50, (if so, which model?),  I'd check to see if your USB is square to the side of the wheel.  If so, my next suggestion would be to make very light passes to true the wheel, so that it doesn't "push up" against the USB.  I'd make the last past a .10mm or less, (turning the Microadjust less than 1/2 the distance between two numbers) and see if that helps.

Tried it today but my plane blade is too big, I think it's 2 1/4", restricted if I go right and it i go left it passes the end of the bar

Segovia123

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 12, 2024, 07:44:49 PM

I'm glad you brought this up.  I know this is what Tormek recommends, but I now do the opposite, I push down on the other leg first.  The reason is I found that, for example, the Truing Tool which pushes up against the USB... if I push down on the MicroAdjust side first, the TT can push up and cause the USB to tip (enough that I can turn the MicroAdjust almost .5mm).  But, if I push down on the opposite side first, it's locked in place and won't move.  Obviously, I could tighten things down enough so that it doesn't matter (and of course light passes), just one more thing I don't have to think about.

Probably doesn't make a difference in reality (but if someone is measuring to 0.0015", it might.)

What'd ya think?

I managed to get the wheel true and remove th 0.0015" gap, but having problem with getting a square edge on my 2 1/4" plane blade

tgbto

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 12, 2024, 07:44:49 PM

What'd ya think?

I'm not sure I follow you there. You mean if you tighten the leg with the MA then the leg without it, the TT can afterwards push up the USB legs ? I have not noticed this. I would rather be afraid of the USB being no longer parallel with the wheel shaft as there is no planar reference on the leg without the USB... I'll have to look into that.

Quote from: Segovia123 on June 13, 2024, 03:50:26 PMI managed to get the wheel true and remove th 0.0015" gap, but having problem with getting a square edge on my 2 1/4" plane blade

If you wheel is true and parallel to the USB, it is now a matter of setting up your tool and blade properly. I'll be assuming you're using the SE-77 jig.

The blade can be out-of-square with the jig. It is unlikely that you'd set it up improperly against the near-side stops of the jig.

There are however two knobs on the SE-77 that are here to allow for camber as well as correcting for a non-straight angle. As per the manual, the two lines should be aligned for the jig to be in the neutral position, and both adjustment screws tightened. Loosening one and tightening the other allows for a slight skew, loosening both allow for a camber.

So you could check that after aligning both lines and tightening both screws, your blade is square to the jig. If it is, and the wheel is true and square, the last thing I can think of is technique, where you'd be applying uneven pressure on both sides of the blade.

cbwx34

Quote from: tgbto on June 13, 2024, 04:52:21 PMI'm not sure I follow you there. You mean if you tighten the leg with the MA then the leg without it, the TT can afterwards push up the USB legs ? I have not noticed this. I would rather be afraid of the USB being no longer parallel with the wheel shaft as there is no planar reference on the leg without the USB... I'll have to look into that.

Not quite.  What I do is, where you would push down over the leg with the Micro Adust and tighten everything down, I push over the other leg and tighten everything down.

If you'll notice prior to locking the legs down you can rock the USB back and forth (not much but a little bit.)  If you push down on over the Micro Adjust leg and then secure it, you can rock (tilt) the USB up slightly with a bit of pressure.  But if you lock it down while pushing on the other leg, it can't move anymore.  Normal use it probably wouldn't matter, but the pressure from truing, especially if you don't use light passes, might be enough to tilt it.  So then when a chisel is sharpened, (and you once again push down on the M.A. side to tighten,) it might be slightly off.  Maybe not enough to matter, but it is about a 1/2mm difference in USB height.

tgbto

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 13, 2024, 11:40:43 PMIf you'll notice prior to locking the legs down you can rock the USB back and forth (not much but a little bit.)  If you push down on over the Micro Adjust leg and then secure it, you can rock (tilt) the USB up slightly with a bit of pressure.  But if you lock it down while pushing on the other leg, it can't move anymore. 

Strange. I just tried : push down on the USB on the MA leg, tighten the MA leg, tighten the non-MA leg, release downwards pressure on the MA leg. The USB cannot move *at all*. Or at least that I can measure...