News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Simple Platform Jig

Started by tgbto, May 24, 2024, 08:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgbto

Hello,

Having no metal machining skills nor equipment and few parts to tinker with, I thought I'd give a try at a simple "Platform Jig" that I could 3D-print.

There is nothing fancy or innovative with a simple adjustable plate to rest a blade against, it just feels like it's missing from the Tormek jig lineup.

The objective is to be able to accomodate as wide a range of angles as possible, not limited to short blades but well suited to those as the SVM-00 is kinda fidgety.

I'll use PLA filament for the prototypes and ASA for the real thing, trying to avoid supports except snug ones for the two holes for ruthex inserts (thumbscrews) where geometry matters little.

A quick note on a design choise (which I am not sure is wise): the (grey) sliding platform is more or less self-locking inside the (blue) support. One has to flex it a bit by pressing down in the middle so it slides easily, then release it so it locks back in place, and the (red) back thumbscrew is just here to secure it in place and prevent bending. I might have to play with tolerances and/or add a bit of teflon or the like on the outer surfaces in contact with the support so it slides more smoothly but still locks without significant radial play..

[edit]And a second note : I might not be able to dispense with having to add a metal plate on top on the side of the slide that is close to the wheel, if I have to thin the tip and keep everything rigid.[/edit]

Please feel free to give any feedback that I could incorporate before the first actual prints.

Cheers,

Nick.

CopperFish

Ken S

Nick,

Goodidea! I have long advocated getting to know a good local machinist. I would change that recommendation to include getting to know a good 3D printer or developing 3D design or printing skills. I believe the 3D printing benefits for Tormek sharpeners are only limited by our imaginations.

I would point out one possible constraint in your design. The out of round shape of the bore is a patented design held by Tormek called Torlock. I don't believe making a platform for your personal use would be problematic; however, anyone wanting to manufacture them for sale would face breach of patent legal action. Using a round hole would circumvent this issue, although with reduced holding power.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: tgbto on May 24, 2024, 08:55:42 AM...
A quick note on a design choise (which I am not sure is wise): the (grey) sliding platform is more or less self-locking inside the (blue) support. One has to flex it a bit by pressing down in the middle so it slides easily, then release it so it locks back in place, and the (red) back thumbscrew is just here to secure it in place and prevent bending. I might have to play with tolerances and/or add a bit of teflon or the like on the outer surfaces in contact with the support so it slides more smoothly but still locks without significant radial play..

Guess I don't see the need for a "sliding platform"... the Platform should accommodate just about any size knife without the need for this?   ???
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RichColvin

Please share the STL files.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

tgbto

Quote from: Ken S on May 24, 2024, 05:52:27 PMI would point out one possible constraint in your design. The out of round shape of the bore is a patented design held by Tormek called Torlock. I don't believe making a platform for your personal use would be problematic; however, anyone wanting to manufacture them for sale would face breach of patent legal action.

Ken, thanks for pointing this out. I did a bit of preliminary research on patents advertised by Tormek on their website, and could only find something related to this in the patent for the vertical sleeves of the USB. I didn't see anything related to the Torlock mechanism.
That being said, I know of a few other designs where a round shaft is held in, say, one corner of a square hole by a screw, including on a centuries-old loom in a french museum. I'll be damned if nobody thought of making it a triangle (which is essentially what Torlock is) by the time Tormek applied for their patent. The research report for this patent would be interesting in that regard.
Nobody would dare manufacture this on a large scale anyway : plastic filaments will not be very robust in the long run, and a metal version would be very expensive to make.

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 24, 2024, 06:31:00 PMGuess I don't see the need for a "sliding platform"... the Platform should accommodate just about any size knife without the need for this?   ???

The idea was to be able to choose the working position (platorm angle) for any grinding/honing wheel diameter, without being constrained by a unique angle/USB combination. I could make one or a few fixed-length variants though, if there are "projection" distances you feel would work well. Those would be cheaper, require one less ruthex insert, and be less "fiddly".

Quote from: RichColvin on May 24, 2024, 09:33:14 PMPlease share the STL files.

Rich, I'll gladly send you a link to the STL (and/or f3d) files in a PM. Don't you want to wait for the inevitable corrections, though ?

Ken S

Ever since the first days of the forum exploration of the small platform jigs, I have never felt that we fully explored the possibilities of this versatile jig. I have also felt that Tormek never showed much interest in smaller platforms. I find this especially sad since they hold the patent to the Torlock and the present design would give them a leg up with the CAD/CAM work.

3D printing presents multiple opportunities, especially if done in "the home shop". From my own limited 3D printing knowledge with my grandson's printer:

I can see that a simple washer/spacer project would be easy to design and print. Make the initial one like the spacer on the shaft between the machine and the grinding wheel. 1/8" (3mm) is thick enough and won't require lengthy printing times. The main function of this is to determine the exact diameter fit of the bore, approximately 12mm). Once this is determined, this number can be appliedto any number of designs.

Then design the bottom part of the jig. This should include a hole to be tapped 6M thread, the standard Tormek size.

Once the bottom is designed, the upper portion (s) can be designed for the intended purposes. This could be either a simple flat platform or custom platforms designed for particular tools (metal lathe tools come to mind).

Possible variations are only limited byour imagination.

Ken