News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Keep T-3 or located newer model?

Started by MLDay, April 20, 2024, 04:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLDay

Hi all. New here and to the Tormek world. I'm sore these types of questions have been asked before but I was hoping for some direct advice.

Today I picked up a T-3 with some nice accessories for a good deal. Could easily make money selling it. I don't turn and it came with a TNT-808 turning kit which I'll likely sell.

What's the difference between this and a T-4 or T-8?  Wheels smaller? 

Wondering if I should invest in this T-3 or hold out for a different model.

I'd like to use this mainly for planer blade and chisels. Was hoping to located a cheap rough shaping wheel to remove defects/material. Heard about sourcing from China made sharpeners.

Thanks! 

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Matthew.

You ask good questions. If I was in your shoes and wanted to sharpen chisels and my bench plane blades, I would stay with the T3. The T3 is definitely designed for lighter duty than the redesigned T4 which replaced it in 2014 or the professional duty larger T8. However, home use with woodworking tools is definitely in the "hobby" range of the T3. (Also included in this range are typical kitchen knives.)

The jigs and accessories work with all Tormek models. I would compare your T3 with my 2013 Equinox automobile. It runs well and serves my purpose. It will not depreciate much if I keep it for several more years.

What you need now is knowledge. I suggest you register your T3 on tormek.com. It is long past the warranty period, however, registering it lets you access and download the latest version of the online handbook at no charge. We now have an excellent seriesof online videos on the Tormek youtube channel.

Regarding an inexpensive, coarser wheel, I strongly recommend learning how to maximize your present grinding wheel first. Learn how to true and dress your grinding wheel. Learn how to grade it with the stone grader. Heavy grinding should only be a one time occurance. After that, keep your tools sharp. An optimized grinding wheel, a cup of coffee and patience will carry the day with the initial sharpening.

Keep us posted.

Ken

MLDay

Ken,
Thank you very much! 

I like to collect old tools such as Stanley planes and chisels, so I get a lot of really beat up blades. I do have a standard 8" slow speed grinder with the Veritas sliding thing, so maybe that's the best place to get the beat up blades back to straight new metal.

I will definitely register to get the manual and look into the video series.

I'll plan to keep this until I come  across a deal on a newer model, hopefully T8.

Thanks again!

cbwx34

Quote from: MLDay on April 20, 2024, 04:04:32 AMHi all. New here and to the Tormek world. I'm sore these types of questions have been asked before but I was hoping for some direct advice.

Today I picked up a T-3 with some nice accessories for a good deal. Could easily make money selling it. I don't turn and it came with a TNT-808 turning kit which I'll likely sell.

What's the difference between this and a T-4 or T-8?  Wheels smaller? 

Wondering if I should invest in this T-3 or hold out for a different model.

I'd like to use this mainly for planer blade and chisels. Was hoping to located a cheap rough shaping wheel to remove defects/material. Heard about sourcing from China made sharpeners.

Thanks! 

If you can sell the T-3 for a profit, and invest that money into a T-4 or T-8, that is the route I would take.  The T-3 had issues with the "plastic" casing, for example, it was from a Tormek rep that...

Quote from: https://forum.tormek.com/index.php/topic,2323.msg11507.html#msg11507T-3 had a plastic housing witch was not as stable (compared to the T-4) with its vertical and horizontal sleeves.

... the result being that the T-4 is advertised as "Precision improved 300%".

There's also an issue with heat and the casing, so the 30 min. "duty cycle" applies to the T-3, which was eliminated with the T-4's zinc casing.

Sizewise, the T-3 and T-4 are the same, the main (and important) difference is the change in casing.  The T-8 is a larger model.

I'd only keep the T-3 if you only plan on using it for light work.

p.s.  I don't think registering your Tormek gives you access to the manual yet, (the link was broken in the website update), but you can access it HERE
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Matthew,

I cannot fault CB's comments; however, I do believe you T3 can handle your light duty home shop needs. I don't think you would go wrong either way. CB is correct about the thirty minute duty cycle, although, I don't think it will be a real world constraint for for. I don't recall any problems being posted on the forum with overheating or inaccuracy. If you are concerned about these, the safe play is a new T4 with an eight year warranty.

Ken

MLDay

Thank you all.

I found this great comparison chart from Highland that's helped me see the differences.
https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/Tormek-comparison-T8-T4.aspx

After seeing that I think I'm going to be hunting for a used T8. Hopefully I can find one with light use for a good price. I can see myself at some point sharpening a dozen plane blades in one session, so I like both the continuous rated motor and the wider strop that I can use the se77 on.

Now need to decide if I just sell the t3 and turners kit now or wait until I find a T8. I should probably wait.

Thanks again.