News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

"a small square"

Started by Ken S, April 19, 2024, 01:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Tormek makes a very nice small square. You get one "for free" if you purchare the Anniversary Black T8. Unfortunately, this small square is not yet available as a stand alone accessory. HOWEVER, there is a relatively inexpensive "plan B". Although the TTS-100 is primarily designed for setting woodturning tools, it can also work very well with vhisels and plane irons. It makes a very fast, accurate setting tool and a useful small. Wolfgang demonstrates this at 1:07:20 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/live/7aHmc43RUY4?si=av0B0hGR-tWmKWQy

Wolfgang demonstrates this with a skew chisel; however, many things in sharpening cross function.

Ken

PS The first time I sharpened a turning skew, I did not know the TTS-100/ small square trick. I assumed my skew angle matched the Tormek diagram. This "sharpening" turned into a lengthy reshaping project. A wiser plan would have been to draw the square line and set the skew angle to just a little closer to the recommended angle. After several sharpenings, I would have gradually matched the angle. A markedcollar with the third setting left blank initally would have tipped me off.