News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Marking chisels for initial insertion into jig

Started by pe2dave, March 19, 2024, 04:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: pe2dave on April 01, 2024, 04:43:38 PM1. File off those (pointless?) marks atop the edge of the jig

That mark is for centering a plane blade in order to apply a symetrical curve on the iron.

Ken S

Quote from: John Hancock Sr on April 03, 2024, 11:20:02 PM
Quote from: pe2dave on April 01, 2024, 04:43:38 PM1. File off those (pointless?) marks atop the edge of the jig

That mark is for centering a plane blade in order to apply a symetrical curve on the iron.

John is absolutely correct. Far from being pointless, the line on the front of the SE-77 is what allows centering the plane blade for balanced cambering. Controlled cambering is what separates a cabinetmaker from an average woodworker.

Those who do not understand cambering should just ignore the line, preserving it for the day when they do understand it.

Ken

pe2dave

Quote from: Ken S on April 04, 2024, 01:12:08 AM
Quote from: John Hancock Sr on April 03, 2024, 11:20:02 PM

John is absolutely correct. Far from being pointless, the line on the front of the SE-77 is what allows centering the plane blade for balanced cambering. Controlled cambering is what separates a cabinetmaker from an average woodworker.

Those who do not understand cambering should just ignore the line, preserving it for the day when they do understand it.

Ken
which could be an indentation rather than a protrusion?
Without that, I can use that surface to ensure the chisel is at right angles to the jig.

pe2dave

Quote from: RickKrung on April 03, 2024, 05:21:21 PMQuote cut.
Rick

Interesting Rick. Though I've little knowledge and less interest in metal machining.
I'd not thought of outsourced 3D - though the 10 would be a bit irksome when one wanted :-)
  I'm curious about the finished item.
Tks for the response.

pe2dave

Resolution:
   Using the TTS-100 to obtain a repeatable distance from wheel.
    Trial and error (black marker) to set the extension from the jig
    Check the blade is right to the jig
    For this chisel, record the distance from the jig edge.
JD.