News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Non-Tormek "Micro" Drill Bit Grinder

Started by RickKrung, May 11, 2024, 05:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

I've recently come into a fairly unique, high-end, "micro" drill bit grinder.  Swiss-made, Meteor CH 1, for drills 0.008" to 0.125" (~0.2 to ~3.2 mm) diameter.  These appear to be quite rare.  I've only been able to find information on seemingly more recent or larger capacity (up to 6mm, 0.236") version2, Meteor KSB 3 and KSB 6.  Lathes UK does have limited information, but it is the most extensive that I've found.  Spare parts appear to be equally rare; I've found only on potential source and they have not responded to an inquiry. 

Gringing wheels are about 3" dia., some are carborundum and some are diamond.  Pictured is the diamond, think it is 400 grit.  I have found only two of the KSB models for sale on eBay, from $1200 - $1800.  The two units I have were given to me free.  Only one is complete and fully functional.  The other is in good shape, just not much moves, so full disassembly and cleaning may be necessary. 

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

Drill bits are held in a small collet that indexes at 180º.  Indexing groove visible at lower right end of the collet assembly.  Alignment is similar to that of the Tormek DBS-22, but much higher magnification and apparent accuracy. 

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

I've had to work with the alignment to get things to work well, which is not well described in the manual.  Manual I have is for the KSB 3 model but seems to be identical to the "CH 1" model I have.

Grinding of a facet.  Works extremely well, fast and easy.  Tight and precise with minimal movement. 

You cannot view this attachment.

Reached limit of photos for a single post, so more to follow. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RickKrung

Point angle, relief angle are directly indicated by graduated scales (red ellipses).  Point angles available are quite wide.  Clearance angles up to 20º.  There is a lever-actuated swivel function to put the drill into grinding position, with a positive stop.  It appears there may be options for this stop as it rotates on a shaft, but I haven't figured this out yet. 

Three point geometries are possible, traditional 2-facet (trypical retail), 4-facet and web-thinned.  Pictured is a 1/8" drill, first as 2-facet and then as 4-facet.  The manual describes web-thinned as used only with the 2-facet point and only for the much smaller diameter drills because the webs make up a larger proportion of the overall point.  Oh, and it will do both Right and Left twist drills. 

Shown are the 2- and 4- facet points.  Primary facets were done at 9º.  Secondary facets were done by changing the clearance angle to 23º.  I haven't seriously tried the split pointing, but what little playing with it I did, trying to figure it out, indicates it could be really sweet. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RichColvin

Those tools are really cool!  Thanks for sharing.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RickKrung

Quote from: RichColvin on May 11, 2024, 09:01:48 PMThose tools are really cool!  Thanks for sharing.

Agreed, and fills the gap of less than 1/8" dia. that the DBS can't do. I hope to try making a holder/collet for doing up to 3/16" or 1/4" on it.  But...  I have yet to seriously try adapting the Starrett pin collets to the DBS drill holder for the smaller sizes, even 1/8". 

I see a substantial improvement in precision of the Meteor workings compared to the Tormek.  The DBS is quite excellent, much better than most other options in the price range (and lower) but there is a lack of rigidity and repeatability due to the suspension method (USB).  The alignment microscope of the Meteor is significantly better as well. 

Rick