News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SVM-00 Small Knife Holder - Alignment Jig

Started by TheSeldomSeenKid, February 21, 2024, 06:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If a easy to use and inexpensive jig to align knife blades with the spine of the SVM-00 was available would you be interested?

I have a SVM-00 - Yes I am interested
4 (66.7%)
I have a SVM-00 - I am not interested
1 (16.7%)
I don't have a SVM-00 - Yes I am interested
1 (16.7%)
I don't have a SVM-00 -  I am not interested
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: March 22, 2024, 06:00:49 AM

RickKrung

Quote from: TheSeldomSeenKid on February 24, 2024, 11:28:27 AM...snip...
Rick, I hoped this addressed your questions and concerns. If not let me know.

Sounds like you're on it and have a plan.
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on February 24, 2024, 03:58:48 PM
QuoteProbably better than chopsticks...
...snip...
 :D  :D  :D

Ha, I like it. Have you actually used it this way?  Did it work?  I think, when the need comes up (these things are usually ("when, not if"), I'll give that a try.

Only for that one knife, and yes it worked, but I'm sure there's better ideas.  Like I said, I just did it to inspire some.

TBH, I rarely use the SVM-00 anymore, like someone said earlier... easier just to freehand them, or use the Platform (not a jig) jig.  :D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on February 24, 2024, 06:02:34 PM...snip...
Only for that one knife, and yes it worked, but I'm sure there's better ideas.  Like I said, I just did it to inspire some.
...snip...

Made me think of this tool, a universal socket driver...

Haven't done it, but supposedly will work on non-hex shapes, such as penta heads on the city water service covers.

You cannot view this attachment.
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

TheSeldomSeenKid

@RickKrung @cbwx34
The picture of the swiss army knife (thanks @cbwx34) makes sense, works, and I have used rods/wedges before for squaring a swiss army knife.
The SVM-100 is used for the horizontal and vertical reference and the rods/wedges push the knife handle into the reference surface.

This is similar in concept to how a block is squared up on a mill. (If you are not familiar, consider watching a YouTube video by Marc Lecuyer "Block Squaring on a Milling Machine ...".)

Custom handles which are not square or blades which are not square to the handle are more difficult, since the svm-100 can't be used as the sole primary reference points. This is where the alignment jig is a great help as you can see how the handle needs to align. Small tapered pins or wedges can be used for gap filling. This is where the TPU is helpful, as tightening the SVM-00 doesn't push the pins out of place. This works, but I would prefer it to be even easier.

RichColvin

I usually use the SVM-00 for blades which are short.  One easy example is a marking knife.  It works well for that.  
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.