News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Honing Steels...

Started by cbwx34, January 05, 2024, 03:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Here's a good example of why I use (and recommend) a ceramic rod vs. a honing steel...

(Also some good info on burrs.)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

John_B

I would like to see him try this on a properly sharpened knife that is a bit dull after repeated use. I use the steel daily before use very lightly to remove the nearly invisible corrosion and for sharp edge correction. To me it seems to improve the edge of my knives. If they are getting duller I have 2 ceramic rods that give me 1000, 2000 and 3000 grit. Both rods have a side with 2000. The next step is to return to the Tormek and resharpen. Using this method works for me.

One thing about his video is that he is using a knife that he either damaged or did not properly remove the burr. It would be interesting to see his testing on a properly sharpened knife that is used properly everyday.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

BUTCHER

Can you please post a link to this video?
For some reason, I cant open this.
Thanks

cbwx34

Quote from: BUTCHER on January 06, 2024, 03:28:34 PMCan you please post a link to this video?
For some reason, I cant open this.
Thanks

https://youtu.be/Y4ReQ83CZOQ
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Sir Amwell

I recommend watching the follow up video too as he tries to address the issues raised by some of the comments in the first one.