News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

locked out

Started by Redroad, December 30, 2023, 02:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redroad

This probable will sound pretty dumb. I purchased a used T8, awhile back (with all the accessories). I did my best to learn to use it. Then I got lazy, and it set for A While. I always sharpen my wife's knives. So, I got all ambitious to sharpen. I planned to get a new stone for the T8. When I went to remove (SG-250) I couldn't budget loose the nut. The wheels turn.  Holy smokes it's like "locked" tight. Any suggestion for this dumb move.
Luckily I have a work sharp. My wife has some sharpened knives, whew - for that.
Thanks for anything. 🙂

RickKrung

Welcome to the forum.

A grindstone stuck/locked on the shaft has been discussed here regularly.  I cannot offer anything, but wonder if you could learn a lot by doing some searches to find some of the previous discussions.  A lot of it has had to do with pre-stainless steel shaft/EZLock nut machines, but I'm sure there have been some with the new shaft/nut. 

Here is one that came up using the search string "stuck shaft", the "" returning only that string and not numerous posts with just one of the words. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Sir Amwell

Sounds obvious and you may have tried already, but have you tried the quick release method?
Have the machine in front of you, USB nearest you. Hold the stone in your left hand. Now take the honing wheel in your right hand and turn it away from you whilst holding or turning the stone towards you. This usually gets things moving.

Ken S

Redroad,

Have you watched the Tormek online video classes? The preferred method of loosening the grinding wheel is demonstrated in several of these classes. Remember, the EZYlock has a left hand thread.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Redroad on December 30, 2023, 02:40:15 AM...snip...
When I went to remove (SG-250) I couldn't budget loose the nut. The wheels turn.  Holy smokes it's like "locked" tight. ...snip...
🙂

The honing wheel is pinned to the drive wheel so it should not be able to spin.  Are you saying the grinding wheel spins on the shaft, but the EZLock nut is what is locked?  If so, that is a new one. 

If I were face with that, I'd remove the shaft/wheel/nut, from the machine and clamp the shaft in my lathe (so the shaft is not damaged by clamping) and use a wrench on the nut.  I believe you also posted on FaceBook and expressed there that you were aware that the nut is left hand, which means it rotates clockwise to loosen, looking straight at it. 

You also may want to contact Tormek support.  Please report back on any responses you get from them.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

John Hancock Sr

If that happens then a wrench is the only option. You could use something like WD 40 but make sure that it does not get onto the wheel's surface. Make sure you are turning the nut clockwise since it is a left hand thread.

This was the state of my machine when I bought it second hand. The nut was frozen on and the "stainless" shaft had rusted and locked the wheel in place. The wheel ended up breaking as I removed it, pretty much unavoidable, which was disappointing. The rust on the shaft was quite extensive. I suspect that the previous owner never removed the wheel from new which was in 2011. In any case it had been on the machine a long time, hence the rust.

Ken S

Most of these procedures seem to be used at the wrong time. Prevention is more effective than correcting. Whether a Tormek is purchased new or used, a high priority should be making sure the EZYlock works smoothly. Do the cleaning/regreasing procedure shuld be done at purchase time, especially with used machines.

Support ran some tests for us and discovered that if a thin coating of grease was placed on the side of the spacer facing away from the grinding wheel, the EZYlock did not freeze up. Lacking this grease coating, support was able to freeze up the EZYlock.

By verifying that the EZYlock is not jammed early, the time pressure is removed. If the EZYlock is found to be jammed, there is time to study the online classes, use the forum, and contact support (support@tormek.se).

Ken

Ken S

Here is a link to the Tips online class (#8), one of the classes where releasing the EZYlock is demonstrated, starting at 14:45.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on January 02, 2024, 03:03:44 AMHere is a link to the Tips online class (#8), one of the classes where releasing the EZYlock is demonstrated, starting at 14:45.

Ken

Link

;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Thanks, CB. I neglected to include the link.
Ken

Redroad

thank you for all your input. I went ahead a purchased a new SG 250. And rod. So I'm set to learn more.