News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Trap for young players - Remove the wheel

Started by John Hancock Sr, November 22, 2023, 01:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Hancock Sr

Not so much of a question as an observation. If you are not using your Tormek for a couple of days remove the wheel. I was doing other stuff and left a diamond wheel on for a couple of weeks and I had to resorte to a wrench to remove the nut and I had to use some gentle persuasion to remove the wheel from the shaft.

So, my advice would be to remove the wheel at the end of every sharpening session. I suspect that it was the anti corrosion additive which seems to go sticky if you have any residue remaining. I usually do that but for some reason forgot this time.

Ken S

Interesting thoughts, John.

I routinely remove my  grinding wheel after a sharpening session. I don't know if it is ncessary; it is just part of "my custom". I have been thinking that I would like to make something else part of that custom: Just before beginning sharpening, loosening and then retightening the grinding wheel. That would eliminate any residual tightness.

Ken

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: Ken S on November 22, 2023, 03:35:48 AMI routinely remove my  grinding wheel after a sharpening session.

I normally do that but in this instance I was just lazy. The bore was stuck to the shaft. The rust inhibitor seems to be the culprit. I think the regular stone would have been fine.

I cleaned the shaft and applied a small amount of never seez. After I sharpened the axe I removed the wheel again. I have the wheels nicely laid out on pins in the wall so if one is missing it will annoy me so job done!!!