News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Round Knife Sharpening

Started by EricRN, November 16, 2023, 08:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricRN

Hi,  First post here.  Have been using the Tormek for a few months now and love it.  So much more precision and control than my old sharpening set up.  I initially bought the Tormek to use with woodworking tools--turning tools for my lathe, chisels, and plane irons.  But this thing could also be a game changer for my kitchen knives and leather crafting tools.  Most of them are pretty easy to set up with the various jigs.  But one has me stumped--my leather pattern knife: https://chartermade.com/collections/chef-knife-range/products/ebony-pattern-knife-1.  It's a variation of the leather workers half-moon or round knife.  Any ideas how I might be able to jig this thing up to sharpen on the Tormek.  I wish I was sufficiently good at sharpening by hand that I could free-hand it (on either a wheel or a flat stone), but that's not my strongest skill-set.  I'd love to be able to figure out some way to jig it up so that I can get a consistent, repeatable edge on it with the Tormek.  The knife jig doesn't look like it will hold it well, but would love to hear any suggestions people have.  Thanks in advance.

cbwx34

Quote from: EricRN on November 16, 2023, 08:20:21 PMHi,  First post here.  Have been using the Tormek for a few months now and love it.  So much more precision and control than my old sharpening set up.  I initially bought the Tormek to use with woodworking tools--turning tools for my lathe, chisels, and plane irons.  But this thing could also be a game changer for my kitchen knives and leather crafting tools.  Most of them are pretty easy to set up with the various jigs.  But one has me stumped--my leather pattern knife: https://chartermade.com/collections/chef-knife-range/products/ebony-pattern-knife-1.  It's a variation of the leather workers half-moon or round knife.  Any ideas how I might be able to jig this thing up to sharpen on the Tormek.  I wish I was sufficiently good at sharpening by hand that I could free-hand it (on either a wheel or a flat stone), but that's not my strongest skill-set.  I'd love to be able to figure out some way to jig it up so that I can get a consistent, repeatable edge on it with the Tormek.  The knife jig doesn't look like it will hold it well, but would love to hear any suggestions people have.  Thanks in advance.

No idea if this'll work (since I've never seen one), but I think you could clamp it on the "high" side... angling it so the edge is aligned with the clamp...

You cannot view this attachment.

(not sure if the size relationship is right).

This could just be a bad guess.  :o   ::)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)