News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Surface-problem with DE-250 Diamondwheel

Started by Klingenschleiferei, October 12, 2023, 10:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klingenschleiferei

Hello dear members!

I have the following problem with my DE-250.

In April of this year I bought these for my inherited T2000 to sharpen normal kitchen knives and scissors. I sharpen around 15 to 20 knives or scissors a month.
I use the included anti-corrosion protection and dry the disc after grinding.

Since in 90% of cases I just refresh the existing bevel, I also grind everything on the DE-250. If I really need to remove a little more, I'll take the time and simply grind longer, but not with higher contact pressure.

With the disk in question from April I had the problem that the diamond coating had come off in one place, but not around the entire disk. At least this area became bright and also had a different resistance when sanding. I contacted my dealer, who replaced the window after complaining.

The new disc has been in operation since August 2023, and during this time I have sharpened perhaps 50 pieces using the procedure described above.
Now I notice that the coating on the edges is peeling off again and they are no longer usable, which is very annoying with scissors. The whole area also seems a bit thinned out to me.

If it really is the contact pressure, I am more than disappointed with the quality. The layer must be really very thin and delicate.
My background is in optics. Here we grind, among other things, mineral glasses on water-cooled diamond discs. In my 20 years of professional experience, I have never had the problem of the surface of such a pane peeling off.

Happy grinding everyone!
Stephanie

P.S. I am from bavaria/germany and I used the google translater to create this text. Maybe there are some mistakes in it, sorry!

cbwx34

This thread...

Scissors on Diamond Wheel

... reads (to me anyway) that the high angle that scissors are sharpened at, make the diamond wheel more prone to damage.

I think your option would be to contact Tormek Support?  See what they say.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Stephanie. I agree with CB, both about the possibilities of high angle grinding with scissors and the importance of emailing support (support@tormek.se) Support is very knowledgeable and very dedicated.

Ken