News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

fingernail grind on spindle gouge?

Started by kenc295, February 04, 2024, 10:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenc295

A few years ago I bought the Tormek woodturners kit, first thing I notice is that before I've even used it they've upgraded the 186 with a second knob - I'm guessing it limits the swing?  LOL, just my luck.

Anyway, I've never been interested in turning, but have a project requiring spoindle turning. I have a basic set of 5 HSS tools, one of which is a 1/2" spindle gouge with a standard grind. It seemed like the Tormek "recipe" fit that grind just fine. I also just purchased a Sorby 1/2" spindle gouge with a fingernail profile #840-FH.
I would like to  get this onto a "recipe" as well for future sharpening ease but I am not sure how the different profile is set up. IF a standard gouge fits js2-65-A, what changes are necessary for the fingernail profile with the long "wings" (sorry, don't know the turners lingo)?

RichColvin

Ken,

The extra knob on the SVD-186-R does not limit the swing.

I have captured information about sharpening gouges here:  https://sharpeninghandbook.info/WW-SpindleGouge.html

The sweep back is driven by grinding activity, and less so about the jig's setting.  If you grind more on the sides than the tip, you get a more pronounced "fingernail".  Some of the videos I have noted help explain better.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

kenc295

Rich,

Thanks for the reply.
I did find out about the extra knob, and it doesn't sound like it will matter to me in the least.

Your link seems to be broken? 

Ah wait, it's just an "l" missing off the end.