News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

First Post: follow-up stone from DF-250

Started by SimonJonas, September 13, 2023, 08:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thy Will Be Done

Quote from: SimonJonas on September 15, 2023, 11:19:40 AM
Quote from: tgbto on September 15, 2023, 10:14:51 AMBased on what you're saying, a DF wheel should be more of a burden than a blessing (mandatory use of ACC, at least a DE wheel in addition, and still the SJ if you want to polish.

Quote from: SimonJonas on September 14, 2023, 08:01:39 PMAlso some spoon carving knives, but i guess those can't be sharpened with the Tormek.

You might want to look at this video with Wolfgang. I have never sharpened such a tool, and it might require a lot of practice. Wolfgang has a tendency to make complex things look easy thanks to his level of mastery and feeling. The SVM-00 in itself requires quite a bit of experience and training, so ...
Thank you so much for posting this link, I've never seen it. Looks possible but certainly not easy to me!
As for the wheel, I'm almost certain I'll get the normal version of the T-8, just seems more suited to my needs.

I would argue that it's perfectly suited to what you intend to sharpen with it.  Your results will come far more from your skill and understanding of sharpening fundamentals than what you are using for wheels. 

If you are mainly sharpening carving tools then I would definitely agree that a 4000 grit wheel is going to serve you best as a finishing step.  There is no need for diamond wheel considering your tools.

If your main interest was buying the T-8 Black because of the 50 year warranty, well I'd say that's not going to be a factor for most people at all.  If you're a professional sharpener then may be a big deal.