News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

My favorite knifes shapening youtube channel: Findon Knife Sharpening with Baz

Started by Merlin, September 13, 2023, 12:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iSharpen

Quote from: John Hancock Sr on September 19, 2024, 12:50:47 AM
Quote from: iSharpen on September 17, 2024, 12:28:21 PMAs for wrapping kangaroo tails around wheels I made a prototype. I wrapped one around an old CBN wheel that had failed.

I got a couple of 3D printed honing wheels and used veg tanned (from DS Horne) (I keep a coupe of half hides of various thicknesses for leather projects) I think 1.5 - 2 mm, and some contact. I used a quality contact that I used for leatherwork and that works a treat. I skived the ends of the strip with a taper of about 10mm and made sure the overlap was front to back so that it would not tent to lift with the rotation. Any slight hump left I cleaned up; with the skiving knife and a sanding drum on the Dremel.

With the 3D print use 100% infill around the pins otherwise they will break off.

I have been using the first one now for months with no issues and the second is the spare.

I'd be very interested in making some of these wheels John. I want to wrap one of my kangaroo tails around it to make a rotating tail strop. If successful I'd like to start producing them for sale. I've had tremendous success following Dr Vadim's advice on using the kangaroo tail to remove the burr root and refining the edge after the standard Tormek honing wheel. I think a rotating version would be a winner. I don't have the skiving skills or tools of which you speak but would be interested in learning or contracting that part out.

Do you print your own wheels? I'd love to buy one or get one (or a few) made. If you shop at D.S. Horne I'm guessing you're in Adelaide. You're welcome to drop into the workshop or I could pop in to visit or buy one off you.

iSharpen

Quote from: Ken S on September 17, 2024, 03:25:11 PMBaz,

I have a young friend who is presently studying to be a welder. I was particularly impressed by your comment that your very smooth sharpening technique came from having previously been a welder. (I noticed the same smooth control with Wootz.)
Your comment struck a chord with me; I think about it whenever I sharpen knives now.

Ken

Haha, that's so cool! Yeah, the stance, the movement, the "the body moves to where the eye is focused"...it all reminds of welding. The reason I mentioned it is that I see lots of YouTube users struggling with smooth movement that I was taking for granted so I thought about it and came to the welding conclusion.