News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Newbie, Question on a SuperGrind 2000

Started by hlc2017, August 30, 2023, 05:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hlc2017

Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a used SuperGrind 2000.  However, the unit in question doesn't have the front holder, see pic Tormek A.  It does come with a few attachments, see pic Tormek B.  I know very little about Tormek grinders, only that they're one of the best.  Does not having the front holder make a difference?  What should one expect to pay for this setup?  All advice/info would be greatly appreciated! 

RichColvin

The XB-100 is the part you need.  It is about $40 from many places.  

If you go for this machine, get the XB-100 and add it to the machine. The horizontal position for the universal support base is very needed. 
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich, thanks for answering. I am presently part of a group of six spending a week at Tormek. I feel like I have died and gone to Tormek heaven. I will post more after I get home.

Now.........if I could just sleep and get over this five time zone jet lag.

Ken

John Hancock Sr

To be fair you can do a LOT without the XB-100 knives, chisels, plane blades for instance. But many jigs such as wood turning and drill sharpening then you absolutely need it.

So if you only do chisels and knives and the like and freehand hone then you can maybe wait and see if you need it.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Michael.

The earliest Tormek models had only the vertical sleeves for grinding into the edge. The addition of the horizontal sleeves for grinding away from the edge was a major innovation step forward. For all of us, especially those new to the Tormek, being able to utilize the full potential of the Tormek is ESSENTIAL.

I was discussing your situation with the XB-100 with Håkan yesterday afternoon. Håkan is Tormek's world class abrasives expert and recently semi retired CEO. He also has a very practical and experienced mind for the mechanical parts of the Tormek. He showed me how to install the XB-100. This is also covered in the included instructions. The kit includes all the simple mounting hardware.

Please let us know (or contact support (support@tormek.se) if you have any difficulties with this.

Ken