News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Using the BGM-100 more efficiently

Started by Ken S, August 22, 2023, 04:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Some of us use the BGM-100 to combine the accuracy of Tormek jigs with the speed of a high speed grinder. I found a good video with some ideas on how to use a dry grinder more efficiently. Using a BGM-100 really requires high speed dry grinding thinking. Here is a link to the video:

https://youtu.be/GB-Pa73Snp4

The magic in this technique comes from using the right (friable) grinding wheel and from grinding a crown into the grinding surface instead of having it straight across. The crown limits the contact surface, causing it to grind cooler. A side effect with the limited contact surface of the crown it higher grinding pressure. Wolfgang explains this early in the Grinding Pressure online class.

Ken

John Hancock Sr

Some good tips there Ken. The white Aluminium Oxide is more friable since it is higher purity and more easily fractures exposing new sharp edges on the grit. I have that Veritas jig and it is great, but no BGM-100 of course ;)  I had a really beaten up 1" chisel from my son and since the grinder is still in the old shed I took to it with an oscillating belt sander freehand (with a pot of water to the side) and it come out pretty well. taking it to the Tormek it came out perfect. I am finding the belt sander freehand works a treat for me to remove steel but you need that pot of water.

Ken S

John,

I have found that my Tormek and my belt sander/grinder play nicely together. I would not want to be without either of them.

Ken

PS Please  your PMs. I just sent you one.