News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Thoughts on grinding pressure

Started by Ken S, August 22, 2023, 04:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Just like many new Tormek owners today, I was in a great hurry to acquire the extra grinding wheels when I began with the Tormek in 2009.  I was convinced that acquiring an SB-250 and an SJ-250 would quickly advance my sharpening.  I soon acquired both. (This was before Tormek introduced diamond wheels and before CBN wheels were used with the Tormek.) In hindsight, I was wrong. I would have been much better off to learn the subtleties of the SG-250.

Today I watched the Grinding Pressure online class linked here:

https://www.youtube.com/live/7laP_ysnMwo?feature=share

I have watched this class before. I believe I was finally able to better absorb it today. I highly recommend this class; it contains a lot of subtle sharpening wisdom.

Ken

John_B

For once I resisted buying additional wheels for my T-8. I am still content with the SG-250 and it does a great job. Lucky for me no super steel knives have come my way.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: John_B on August 22, 2023, 06:30:41 PMLucky for me no super steel knives have come my way

Unfortunately I cannot say the same :(  My son has a japanese knife and it was diabolical trying to sharpen it on the SG. When my Diamond wheels arrived I got it back and it was like chalk and cheese. They are also ideal for sharpening HSS drills.